Transgo TF-2 question

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
If I install the transgo TF-2 reprogramming kit in my 904 will it be a full manual or semi-manual. Just wanted to make sure before intalling, cause I don't really want a full manual trans. Just wanna be able to shift to any gear at any time, but still throw it in drive and ride with out shifting manual.

TF-2 is still automatic. Its there Street/Strip kit. TF-3 is full manual.

Yea thats what I was thinkin just had to make sure.

But Goody the kit I have has a Shift Command Feature where you have to grind the gov valve down and install the shift command plate. Not sure if i'm going to install this yet. Any thoughts anyone, should I or shouldn't I. LOL never got to say that before.

The Trans-Go kits are the best out there. Way better then the cheap B&M or TCI kits. I used a TF-3 kit and liked it a lot.

Ok so when installing the shift command feature you have to grind the 1-2 gov valve right. Is this something that needs to be dead on in size and i need to let the machine shop do this or will a old bench grinder do the trick.

I've installed the TF-2 kits before but never did the shift command feature but according to the instructions you can do it on a bench grinder but just be real careful and get it to size. I personally don't see the big deal with this option in a street driven car myself that's why I never do it. If your governor is set up properly and throttle pressure linkage is adjusted properly it will downshift at any speed you need anyway. Why would you need to downshift at 6,000 rpm anyway. Just to blow your engine???

Thanks and point well taken, I'm putin it back together with out the Command feature. Actually thats what i've been thinkin about for the past 2 hours, what is the point of downshifting at any rpm. But also I had been tryin to figure out how to install the spring over the piston for the rear double band and also should snug a double band and losein it 3 1/2 turns or 2 1/2 turns. One more question what will it take to make a 904 a heavy duty 904. I had mine rebuilt about 3 years ago and I notice while going through the valve body that some things had been done to it already and i also noticed it had a double band not a single rear band. The clutch barrel that holds the bands also looks new.

I haven't done a 904, just 727's but haven't had any trouble installing any springs in them. I assumed they are basically the same but parts are smaller. The double wrap band is just a heavy duty version and the adjustment is the same as the single wrap band. Sounds like when it was rebuilt it may have had a type of shift improver installed by your description. Hopefully everything works ok with the TF-2. It's not good to mix 2 kits together. Sometimes it's no problem but other times they interfere with each other and don't work right. I know with 727's there are different clutch carriers that hold more clutch plates that you can install but not sure on 904's. There's also better than stock clutch plates such as Red Eagle's. The double wrap band is an improvement and you allready have that. You can also install a bolt in rear sprague. Aftermarket sun shell. Probably some stuff I'm forgetting. But unless you have a pretty high powered engine and race it your 904 with a TF-2 kit is a pretty stout trans like it is. There's not much you can do without removing the trans. and taking it apart.

i never understod the shiftcomand feature.. i didnt do it and i can still downshift at any rpm that i have wanted like shifting into first gear from 4500rpm in second gear and the gearbox have never ever let me down
im runing a 904 behind a pretty hot 340 and thrust that gearbox alot after puting the TF2 kit in it it makes for real nice snappy shifts ;)

-
Back