transmission cooler placement

-

braz28

Reaction score
Were automatic SS A-bodies equipped with a factory transmission cooler?
where did the transmission coolers get installed ?
special factory mounting brackets?

pictures would be perfect

Were automatic SS A-bodies equipped with a factory transmission cooler?
where did the transmission coolers get installed ?
special factory mounting brackets?

pictures would be perfect
Not sure if you were looking for ideas or not but this is what I ended up doing.
3CC16CCE-831A-489E-92B7-6202247F92E2.jpeg

hello, do you have anymore pictures of how this cooler is mounted, this is done extremely well and clean! thank you

hello, do you have anymore pictures of how this cooler is mounted, this is done extremely well and clean! thank you

I grabbed a couple of pictures for you.
The 2 bolts circled secure an aluminum angle on the underside. Then the cooler bracket is bolted to the angle.

IMG_0442.jpeg

Looking up from under. 2 pieces of flat aluminum sandwiches the rad support with a bolt that attaches to the lower trans cooler ledge.
IMG_0441.jpeg

Looking up from under. Aluminum tube spacer secures the cooler in the vertical position. The bolt runs through the aluminum tube spacer.
IMG_0443.jpeg

I hope this helps you.

I grabbed a couple of pictures for you.
The 2 bolts circled secure an aluminum angle on the underside. Then the cooler bracket is bolted to the angle.

View attachment 1716207429

Looking up from under. 2 pieces of flat aluminum sandwiches the rad support with a bolt that attaches to the lower trans cooler ledge.
View attachment 1716207431

Looking up from under. Aluminum tube spacer secures the cooler in the vertical position. The bolt runs through the aluminum tube spacer.
View attachment 1716207430

I hope this helps you.
That looks slick! Have you run into any cooling issues running the cooler with the fittings pointing down? Some say it's a no-no for plate coolers. That's how I've got mine mounted in my '66 so I'm hoping it works well once it's on the road.

That looks slick! Have you run into any cooling issues running the cooler with the fittings pointing down? Some say it's a no-no for plate coolers. That's how I've got mine mounted in my '66 so I'm hoping it works well once it's on the road.

I’m not expecting any problems. It’s mounted the same as my B body cooler, which has been in use for coming on 9 years, including close to 400 1/4 mile passes.
IMG_4457.png

I thought about the rear but they run cooler up front and the rear was busy anyways. Nice set up though.
Thanks.

If you mount a cooler in the back there generally needs to be a fan on it. Having it in front usually provides enough airflow for the fins but if the cooler is larger it can block airflow to the radiator. If you’re sitting at idle the temp will creep up the same way the cooling system does. Probably wouldn’t matter as much with an electric fan.

I mounted it under the trunk mostly because the engine bay is cluttered and tight. My RF brake line is no longer on the firewall and runs along the frame rail and under the radiator so there is little room left for the two cooler lines. Trust me though, routing the lines to the rear is just as much of a PITA as running them to the front.

IMG_6212.jpeg

IMG_6208.jpeg

IMG_6199.jpeg

I also have larger headers and wanted to keep any plumbing away from heat. The rear tubes can get fairly close to the frame on the driver’s side.

My car is EFI. I am using a temp gauge in the pan as an input to the ECU. When it reaches a certain temp, the ECU then grounds a relay through an output and turns the fan on.

Thanks.

If you mount a cooler in the back there generally needs to be a fan on it. Having it in front usually provides enough airflow for the fins but if the cooler is larger it can block airflow to the radiator. If you’re sitting at idle the temp will creep up the same way the cooling system does. Probably wouldn’t matter as much with an electric fan.

I mounted it under the trunk mostly because the engine bay is cluttered and tight. My RF brake line is no longer on the firewall and runs along the frame rail and under the radiator so there is little room left for the two cooler lines. Trust me though, routing the lines to the rear is just as much of a PITA as running them to the front.

View attachment 1716207737

View attachment 1716207738

View attachment 1716207739

I also have larger headers and wanted to keep any plumbing away from heat. The rear tubes can get fairly close to the frame on the driver’s side.

My car is EFI. I am using a temp gauge in the pan as an input to the ECU. When it reaches a certain temp, the ECU then grounds a relay through an output and turns the fan on.
You’ve done a very nice job of the install. A lot of work went into your install.

what is your vehicle and the specs of your engine...do you need an external cooler?

what is your vehicle and the specs of your engine...do you need an external cooler?
I think it was more of a general question about the ‘68 S/S cars. They were not street cars so IMO they weren’t necessary. They likely were not hot lapping like bracket racers either.
Though it wouldn’t have been much, an extra cooler would have added some amount of weight to an already heavy front end.

If the guys who developed the ‘68 cars thought an external cooler was needed they would have come equipped with them.

Not sure who the question is for. Myself though with an 8”’converter it’s a good addition for the 572. It’s nicely tucked away, barely visible.

-
Back