Transmission Tech?

-

Moparmarcus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in a pickle. Last Wednesday the transmission in my Ram retired itself. Towed her home and was relieved to remember that I have Toyota 4 runner that, although is on her last legs, was still running. I recently parked her after a valve stem seal gave up the ghost, so she could let go at any moment. Her starter threw in the towel Thursday morning. So I am now in a rental.

I want to rebuild the transmission and upgrade the torque converter but after 30 years of shadetree solutions, I just can't bring myself to pay retail for somebody to do work that I can probably do myself. I just don't have the time, I have been a little under the weather lately and my daughter is getting married next year. So, thinking out of the box, I'd like to find a good transmission tech that needs a little side work. I'm willing to pay well and buy the beer at the end of the day.

Is there anyone on here that lives near Alexandria, VA that could use some extra scratch?

It's a '99 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 with a 5.9L engine. 46 RE w/OD - 135K miles. I've only had her for the last 6K miles but I have driven her infrequently and mostly highway.

Other clues available

Greatly appreciate the help anyone can offer.

After you rebuild the tranny, you may want to replace or remove the check valve in the cooler line. I had a 96 Ram that the tranny went up in. The tranny shop told me there is a check valve in one of the cooler lines that is known for clogging up killing the tranny. I had the shop put on a external cooler and take the valve out. Maybe one of the tranny guys on here could elaborate on this.
Good Luck,
Andy

After you rebuild the tranny, you may want to replace or remove the check valve in the cooler line. I had a 96 Ram that the tranny went up in. The tranny shop told me there is a check valve in one of the cooler lines that is known for clogging up killing the tranny. I had the shop put on a external cooler and take the valve out. Maybe one of the tranny guys on here could elaborate on this.
Good Luck,
Andy

I have run across that revelation in my research. Considering the tranny fluid is cooked that may be what happened.

-
Back