TT Dart -- Brainstorming

-

Sinister.

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a budget build twin turbo engine for my Dart. I intend to do all of the work myself. The Dart is a cruiser basically, may see some strip time.

What I have:
Several complete 318s
1 complete 360 ('78 block I think, needs pistons, crank turned, and bores cleaned)
3 sets of J Heads, all of which have sunken exhaust valves.
A variety of exhaust manifolds
A couple 650 cfm holley 4bbls
A couple thermoquads

Goal:
400+ rwhp

Current idea:
318 short block (didn't some years have forged cranks?)
360 heads (587 cast, have hardened valve seats and larger valves/runners than 318)
Convert the holley to blow through
Use rear dump manifolds backwards for a front dump setup
Twin turbos of course

The reason I'm currently thinking this combination is, I have usable 318 short blocks which should be capable of high revs, the larger heads should allow more air to be forced in, holley because I already have it and from what I understand, the conversion isn't expensive or difficult.

What do you think?
I'm not sure how to go about choosing a turbo. If I could find a couple working ones in the junkyard, that would be best to help keep cost down.

really nice turbos for twins on a 318 for that power range come off of SVO mustangs or turbo coupes. The ones off the manual cars will make a bit more power but take a lil longer to come in. The ones off the autos will make plenty of power but come in early 24-2500rpm 12psi. Fresh rebuilds go for about $400 but they are garrett turbos so they are quality.

for your basic goal...( 1 ) MasterPower T70 is all you need....check the price on one of those.

The reason I am against twins is the double whammy price for everything.
2-turbos
2-oil feed lines
2-oil drains
2-exhuast setups
2-charge pipes

A t70 will flow enough for 600 rear wheel horsepower and 700lb fts....easy.

I was hoping you would chime in, Prine.

My main concern with running a single turbo was the size of the exhaust that I would have to run out of it. Running exhaust out of the engine compartment is tight as it is.

Apart from that, what do you think about the engine setup?

What else would I need?

Also, when would that turbo kick in?

The MP T70 has 3 different exhaust housing available; .63, .84, .96. The .63 would be best for a street car, would come into full boost in the high 2000's rpm wise, the .84 would be a bit higher than that and the .96 higher still but even the .96 should be all in by 4k. Depends how tight you're planning on winding it.

The lower sounds better but I assume that smaller housing means less overall boost?

What size exhaust pipe would need run from that though?

Smaller the housing the quicker the motor will choke which means it will have more back pressure in the exhaust and smaller the A/R the quicker the boost will come in too if your not planing on spinning alot of rpm's go with a smaller exhaust housing the .84 a/r will come in around 2800 on a 360 some of that depends on your set up too.

there is some good info here. I'm starting to research for a TT 5.7 hemi swap into my 75 duster, and will follow what you guys have to say closely

-
Back