Turn Over my 340, Sleeping For 17 years

-
Recently brought my 383 back to life after 24 years of silence. I had loosened the rocker shafts and popped the push rods out when it got put away. I did pull the heads and it looked as clean as the day the car was put away. A little oil in the cylinders and re-assembly then 2 more years of waiting on the body.

Never turned the motor again until pre-priming with the distributor out. She fired right off and never made even a slight tick.

I believe having all the valves closed helped keep any moisture out and had to be easier on the springs. I have not turned any rpms above 4k yet but all seems well.

I am bringing my 340 out from storage (17 year sleeping) and want to check compression to see state of cylinders. Have been told to use Liquid Wrench in cylinders to lubricate before turning over by hand.Engine had new oil put in before storage and has just sat since then. Had 70k original miles before storage and was running when put to sleep. If not LW, what is the best advice to keep from scoring the cylinders with dry rings?

I brought mine back with Marvel Myster Oil in the cylinders, when you fire her she will smoke like hell, as some have suggested here be ready for those valve seals to leak some, worried me alot, but after a month of starting and idling the blue smoke has almost gone away, but im planning to replace the seals. Good Luck to you Merry Christmas
Eric Atlanta Texas

Have seen engines stuck after setting for only 5 yrs. Best of luck.

-
Back