wanna see agrown man cry???

-

NiceFishEh

Reaction score
Went to pick up the 8 3/4 this morning...looked up... had a great big ugly 'X' on the case. :(

Would anybody here bother with a 741?

I'm running a basically stock 340 with a 904.

I want a cruiser...not a 1/4 pounder!!

Have no intrest in gears that are 3:23 or lower.

:?:

741 case will be fine. Ive been beating mine for 4 years with big sticky tires on the car. Hard to find ring and pinions for though.

189812_00000_preview.jpg

Don't let that stop you from getting the rear end if the price is right. You can always upgrade the center section at a later date if you really want to. But I think the 741 center would be just fine for a street car.

Mmm messed up that other post. I am running a 741 with 3:55s and a Auborn pro series diff, from what I have read they are just fine unless you got huge horsepower and go to he track every weekend. I pound on mine(the car) and so far so good.
189812_00000_preview.jpg

Well I picked up this piece of crap 741 and now notice that when I turn the yoke, both axles turn the same direction.

What does this mean?

:shock:

That it works. :D

Turn the axle on one side and watch the other axle. If they turn the same direction, you might be lucky and have a posi. If they turn opposite, then you probably don't.

I smacked the drums off this morning... could not believe it. I knew immediately I landed me a SG. I just wanted to hear it from you guys.

I turned down this rear twice since last September.

The owner checked it and told me it was an open rear.

It came out of a four door 67 Coronet. The emblem on the car said SE.

So I had a hunch it might be a SG. It should be a power-loc as well. I'll know once I take out the centre tomorrow.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

beatiful! it is possible to run the 8 3/4" B body rear on a A body without making it shorter but its realy hard to find wheels with the right ofset!

Now I'm realllllly confused. :roll:

Took out the centre... there ain't no power-loc. :x

It sure as hell looks like an open set... but I'm tellen ya, both axles turn the same direction...even when I try to hold back one axle from turning. The axles in the 7 1/4 that's in the car now turn different directions...thats open.

I've seen brochures on a trac-loc and it looks like an open set but runs like a limited slip???Not quite sure how that works??? I've got a line on power-loc that needs a rebuild...might buy it anyway.

The B alxes are too short to respline, so I think I'll work with the A's that came with the extra 8 3/4 housing that came with the car.

Read that the spacing on the axle from flange to mounting bracket is 1/4" shorter on A's verses B's, and this can cause brake hardware mounting problems. The article didn't say what kind of problems...just wondered if anybody here had similar problems. :scratch

The B-Bodie brakes are wider and if you run them on an A-Body rear the axles have to be changed to adjust for the 1/4" or the drums will hit. Also the center that fits in the drum is a different size.
Some wise guy put a spacer between the axle flange and the drum on my 8 3/4 . Did you see the picture of my Quater panel on my Dart?
That's why I'm against any type of spacer. It creates a nice shear point. Cleaned the studs right off the axle, and I watched my brake drum go flying past me, as I sat about 10" lower to the ground, and no left rear wheel at the starting line.
Check to see if someone welded the spider gears in that rear. That would explain why an open rear acts like a sure grip. or spool..

-
Back