Water pump to big

-

Ezfamily89

Reaction score
I got a 360la v8 and it has a stock water pump is there a short neck water pump so I can have my fan still bolted to water pump. Also would be a better route to just get a fan kit for my car it has a 3bar rad from champion cooling in a 65 barracuda I'm doing research looking at the moment but anytips advice or pics of a solution would be great. Thank and have a blessed day

The early pump is shorter as kimmer says, but it is not a match for your later 360. You'll probably need new accessory brackets to go along and possibly even the early timing cover to get things "right". I believe the better fix "HERE" will be a thinner two row radiator. A good two row with two rows of wide tubes will very likely cool better anyway. Can you post some pictures? Most of the aftermarket imported radiators have the brackets welded on offset so that they mount the radiator closer to the engine than need be, PLUS the 3 row radiator itself is just slap too thick for this application. There are probably a thousand threads on this on this forum alone.

Last edited:
He would need to change the pulleys also. Make a new tdc mark on the dampner if he changes the timing cover. And as rusty says different alt and p/s brackets. Easy fix if u have that stuff laying around but not so much if u have to start from scratch. A 2 row rad is certainly the easiest fix by far. Kim

I ran the later water pump on the 340 in my 65 Barracuda for a while, along with a Duster 340 radiator. Fit OK, but no room for a clutch type fan. Was told by one outfit that my original radiator's top tank was rotten and it could not be repaired. After running the late setup for a while, I tried another radiator shop and they repaired my original radiator, put in a new three row core while they were at it. Then I put the short iron water pump back on. Kept the late timing cover for a while, using the early style bolt-on timing tab. When I got around to it, I replaced the late timing cover with the original 273 timing cover (I save my old stuff; sometimes it comes in handy). Also running the original 273 pulleys, brackets and crank damper, with a later A body clutch fan.

If there's no room for a fan with your radiator, it's in the wrong place. If you want to keep everything else as is, I'd modify the mounting brackets to move it forward. Then you can keep the late pump, just have to run a solid fan with no spacer.

Here's the short water pump setup in my 65:

20180521_200807.jpg

-
Back