welding plate above fuel line

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I'm putting the cage in the dart and the passenger side plate is above the hard fuel line. (Supply and return) what's the way to weld the plate to the floor and not blow up my shop or set car on fire?
When I welded in the seat bracket I set the under coat on fire, so I'm a little worried.
Thanks.

If the lines are not up against the metal your welding you should be allright.
If your concerned still, pull the lines loose and drop down and wrap welding blanket over them. Always good to have a fire watch in flammable conditions.
If not you`ll have to be quick to weld a little and look, scrape off undercoating, proceed etc. And yeah, have a fire extinguisher handy.

If there are no leaks, what do you have to worry about. Don't hit the line with the wire, but that's pretty obvious. The above advice is good ... have a spotter with fire control available anytime you have flammable conditions.

What he said!

You can drop the hard lines pretty far off the floor by unbolting the mounting bolts and loops. Then you can wrap it with a welding blanket or heat shield so any spatter or slag doesn't ruin your fuel line.

For undercoating you should scrape it off anywhere near where you're welding ahead of time, and of course having a fire extinguisher handy is a MUST when you're doing any kind of welding.

-
Back