What bellhousing for a 4 speed in a slant 6 Duster

-

340doc

Reaction score
I have a 71 Duster with a slant and was planning a V 8 4 speed conversion. Now I find myself wondering about a 4 speed behind the slant. Is there a bell housing for a regular 833? I see a lot of slant bellhousings for the OD tranny, but I understand the hole for the bearing retainer is larger. Thanks.

The 64-66 (and maybe 63) was available with a slant and a 4 speed. I think until the 833OD came out, the slant was only available with a 3 speed. It's possible some years of 3 speed bellhousings were drilled for the 4 speed. Take a look at this article:
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm it's got a lot of good info.

If I remember correctly, the A-230 3 speeds were drilled with dual bolt patterns. If you have or find a OD bell housing you may be able to get slip rings that drop down to 4.80 or 4.35 bearing retainer size. QuickTime bell housing for a small block will fit a OD trans but comes with slip rings. This is what I "know" because I have a 4.35 slip ring behind a 360/414. You can get an OD bell housing from a 70's - 80's Dodge Ram.

-
Back