What Belongs Here?

-

packin3deuces

Reaction score
I'm trying to put the A/C unit back into my 1973 Dart Swinger since I live in Florida and it was disconnected when I bought it.

My question is what covers the opening in the firewall where the evaporator coil tubes come through? :dontknow: (See 1st picture)

My service manual (see 2nd picture) shows a keyed triangular plate adjacent to the expansion valve that seems to attach to the firewall using 2 screws. But if you look at my 3rd and 4th pictures, you'll see that the triangular plate isn't enough, by itself, to cover the firewall hole and my firewall does not have screw holes in it to accomodate the 2 screws shown in the service manual picture, even though the triangular plate was with the parts the previous owner took off. What gives? ](*,)

Does anyone know the correct way to seal this hole up? A photo or 2 of one properly done would really be helpful. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. :help:

The triangular piece is used as a wrench on the assembly line to hold the pipe that comes thru the firewall when they put the hard lines on.
Sorta like using 2 wrenches on a fuel line.

My car is the same way and there are no holes in my firewall.

You need to cut some black foam to fit and stuff it in the opening.
Year One has a whole firewall opening foam gasket set if you want to go that way.

Wish i could help my 70 swinger is differant. I just removed everything from my engine bay. MY pipes coming through the firewall are not in a big hole like that. Mine each have an individual may 1in hole? that they come through. Then i had a plate that was help on my like a two sided foam to cover up the gaps in between the tubes and the firewall. that plate had two holes drilled into it and went on before you put your a/c back together.

sorry i went out and looked that is actually my heater core lines that had the bracket. On my car the heater core is where it shows your a/c and my A/c is closer to the center of the firewall and the pipes are vertical insted or horizontal. They still have the hole drilled for each tube but have foam stuffed in there between the holes in the firewall and the tube.

The triangular piece is used as a wrench on the assembly line to hold the pipe that comes thru the firewall when they put the hard lines on.
Sorta like using 2 wrenches on a fuel line.

My car is the same way and there are no holes in my firewall.

You need to cut some black foam to fit and stuff it in the opening.
Year One has a whole firewall opening foam gasket set if you want to go that way.

Thanks for your help Yellowdartdave. Any chance of posting a picture of your firewall where the evaporator coil tubes emerge? :cheers:

Here's what mine looks like on my 73.. Sorry I couldn't get a photo of the two screws that hold the bracket in place.

The area where my A/C lines come through the firewall is filled with a black foam material. Mine is OEM and very brittle at this point.

Here's what mine looks like on my 73.. Sorry I couldn't get a photo of the two screws that hold the bracket in place.

The area where my A/C lines come through the firewall is filled with a black foam material. Mine is OEM and very brittle at this point.

:cheers: Thanks for the photo 2 Darts. That's exactly what I needed to see. It looks as if the triangular factory wrench is installed with the screw holes pointing downward. Am I viewing that correctly? Thanks again. :supz:

-
Back