What Coil for MSD 8388

-

Kevindc

Reaction score
I'm working on putting together the ignition system for my 525hp 407 and have been trying to figure out the best way to go. The motor already has the MSD 8388 installed and timing set by the engine builder/Dyno. The MSD literature is not providing much guidance.

So I need a coil but what can or should I use. I know that a canister type will work but what about others? A ignition control can be used but is not needed. Should I use the ignition control or is it a waste of money. Thanks all.

Looks like I should use either the MSD 8202 or the 8207. The 8207 has E-core windings and I had read that I should use that. Any thoughts?

Looks like I should use either the MSD 8202 or the 8207. The 8207 has E-core windings and I had read that I should use that. Any thoughts?

Go with the ecore and don't look back if performance and reliability is more important the fact that it obviously didn't come on the car originally.

If you do happen to want to keep it closer to stock "ish" looking, use the Blaster canister.

Thanks Trail, I'll go with the E-core. Is there any point in using the MSD box with that?

Thanks Trail, I'll go with the E-core. Is there any point in using the MSD box with that?

It looked like the distributor you have is a "Ready to Run" and if that is the case then no.

An MSD CDI box would give you multi spark to 3K rpm and if equipped with the pill slot you would also have a rev limiter.

-
Back