What color should I choose?

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
Hey everyone. A while back I traded my 68' C10 sb step for a 68 Dart 2dr post, and it has turned into a father/son project (he "claimed" it as his as soon as he saw it, he is 12). The car is EE1 dark blue with light blue interior, and I am keeping those colors. My, well, our, dilemna is the engine color.

Its a 96 5.9 that I almost have back together. Super nice inside, mp 218/[email protected] .487/.496 cam, ported the heads and redrilled them so I can use my LD340. Stock valve covers for now, and either a modified 2bbl air cleaner to use on the 750 dp, or a chrome one.

He wants the engine Hemi Orange, and for me to leave the intake bare, chrome air cleaner. I want to paint the whole thing red with the black air cleaner so at first glance it looks like a 273. I will be using the newer water pump/radiator, etc.

I didn't say no to orange, and I already have it. He also likes the red. Maybe red with the as-cast intake? Help us out!

What ever color you chose,paint the intake that color.
It's not a Chebby.

Lol thats what I told him when he mentioned painting the engine compartment black.

I kind of like the as-cast look of an aluminum intake. That being said, I have painted every LD340 I have owned. He already knows the engine won't stay in it if I am able to keep the car for him (that wasn't my plan! lol) but I want him to stay motivated on the car and not lose interest. Ah, kids.

I would try to come up with a good compromise as it may help keep him interested in the car. If you shoot down too many of his choices then he may lose interest in it.

I would try to come up with a good compromise as it may help keep him interested in the car. If you shoot down too many of his choices then he may lose interest in it.

Thanks! You put words to exactly what I was thinking, and I am afraid of doing. He really likes the hemi orange, so maybe I will stick with that.

I gotta agree with what cascius said, if it's going to be his car. Also this your car, not ours. Paint the engine bay black if you want. Many of us may not agree with that but it's how we personalize our cars to reflect what we like. Me personally, I'd paint the engine bay the same color of the car. I painted my 340 hemi orange in my 68 because that's what I liked. Bare aluminum intake is ok by me. If you wanted to make it look like a 273, put the 273 valve covers on it. Either in black crinkle finish or engine color.
Just me and what I'd do and to give you ideas.

Paul

I think you guys are right, I will just let him choose. I will give him options for some stuff, thankfully he trusts my judgement!

As for the engine compartment, he is all for it being matched to the body after I showed him some pics. I am stripping it today, going to try to get the rust repaired and sprayed asap before the weather gets too cold.

He likes the aluminum intake, and thats easy to change if he changes his mind. I glass bead blasted it at work before I was laid off, it turned out super-nice. I found a set of old, but unused, headers on c-list, they are only painted so unfortunately that will be a bit of an eyesore, for now. I really just want it running so we can enjoy it!

Btw, I will be starting a build thread, unless I can get him to join FABO and start it himself!

I guess orange from the 2 choices you gave.

My next engine will be black with aluminum heads and intake and other accessories.

I like the look of black engines, especially with alot of aluminum. Weren't small blocks black from sometime in the 80's and up?

I think I will have him help me spray the shortblock tonight before he goes to his moms for the weekend, I think he liked the orange the most.

The stroker for my Dart Sport will be blue, with everything aluminum staying unpainted. I want polished mp valvecovers and a 6-pk air cleaner for it. (I will probably use the air-grabber type 4bbl base).

Someday. lol

that must be where my brakes went...very cool!i think you're on the right track with engine bay and engine colors....good luck with keeping him interested.

It is only pain, paint it what ever he chooses....and if he does not like it then he can remove it form the car and redo it.....be a good experience for him...

Mike-you are absolutely right! I have been trying to get him to start stripping the brake parts, but its only the second week of school and he is kind of busy being "social" lol.

Ink-I thought of that too. I think I even mentioned that to him. Now, he is unsure because he doesn't want to do it twice! lol. It would be a good learning experience though, good or bad.

I did tell him no on the stripes down the middle of the hood and trunk idea. But, I showed him the bumblebee stripe and he is all for a white one.

Lol thats what I told him when he mentioned painting the engine compartment black.

I kind of like the as-cast look of an aluminum intake. That being said, I have painted every LD340 I have owned. He already knows the engine won't stay in it if I am able to keep the car for him (that wasn't my plan! lol) but I want him to stay motivated on the car and not lose interest. Ah, kids.
Understanding your son is 12 right now and he having no real building experience, you make the important decision and ask his opinion on the less important ones to you. My dad and I fought about everything when we redid my Belvedere in high school and it really took the fun out of it for me. Even if you know deep down how wrong it is, if its an inexpensive lesson it will be one that will show him, "Dad was right." Looking back he was right the majority of the time but it was frustrating to me. I'm almost 41 years old and Dad and I almost argued about something for my Valiant last night but I let it go because its my car, my project, my problem. He has his Barracuda and I made suggestions and let him make decisions. Most importantly, make lasting good memories.

Very good point. My dad and I built my 72 Dart my senior year, we didn't argue much, he did alot of the hard work, but I worked for and bought everything. He would give his opinion, but wouldn't argue much.

Made me just realize something my son said last night. I asked him, "How come you aren't helping much anymore? Do you still want to build it?" His reply, "Yeah, but I don't know how to do all of it and you pretty much already decided everything."

Maybe its time to step back and make myself realize its only a car, just metal and paint. I guess I'm just not used to "sharing" my toys.

Then again, he just moved back with me after a two year stay with his mom, so I may be spoiling him a bit.

My Dad worked pretty much 6 and 7 days a week so our father and son time was limited, everything seemed like we were in a rush and he's one of those"i'll just do it" types. Have patience, break a bolt loose if need be and let him figure out which tools and how. Lol, might take all day to get a wheel off but I still remember him promising me for two weeks we'd replace the engine mounts on my car so I could drive it to school. The look on his face and the pride I felt when he ran out the door the morning after I just did it when he heard it fire up was priceless. Good luck with the project!

-
Back