What cubic inch motor is this?

-

Ed'sDDS

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just wondering if any one can help me figure out what motor is in my 1972 Dodge dart swinger.
Thanks for your time
Ed

MY PICTURES 166.jpg

MY PICTURES 363.jpg

It's most likely a 318 small block...If you look on the casting numbers on the drivers side of the block, it will tell you....

Its either a 318 or 360, could be a 340, but not as likely, same goes for a 273. There all identical from the outside. On the drivers side of the block it will tell you exactly what motor you have.

Stamped on front of engine, near deck (directly under drivers side cylinder head).

Stamped on front of engine, near deck (directly under drivers side cylinder head).

That is the easiest way to tell. Looks like your engine has a fresh paint job on it so you'll probably have to scrape the paint off right under the drivers side head to read the numbers as their not very big. If I remember right it's the first 3 numbers that represent the size.

Get us a shot of the harmonic balancer from the bottom. We can tell for sure then.

273 will have the return water pipe coming out of the driver side of the water pump. Can't really tell in the pic because the fan is in the way.

As a sidenote, on the later roller 318 and 360 blocks I have noticed after cleaning and painting, it is laser etched in the same place.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

-
Back