what do you need to turbo our small bolcks?

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
so i have been kicking around the idea of turboing my 360. it was just built so im not sure but want more info to influence my decision and figure you all might to so what all do you need to do to your lets say stock spec motor to turbo it? or is it better to break stuff and eventualy have all the weak links fixed? i know you need upgraded fuel and blow thru carb or fulie. then oil and/ or coolant to the turbo. how to run exhaust and headers and of course intake (both sides) then what all inside the motor? my motor is built to 10.5 compression so i think that will need to come down but is the stock 8.5 a good starting point and not have to upgrade as much inside? i think i could find some turbos for kinda cheap i know lots of tuner guys. then probably a nice front mount intercooler for cheap so in my mind thats the most expensive stuff. but what am i forgettin or dont know yet. thanks tyler

Hi Tyler. You knew I would respond didnt you?

You question is vague...., Matter of Fact, almost too vague to address directly.

I am sorry if that is Blunt...but it is what it is.

Just to get this info out there, in clear plain text...so maybe it will start to soak in.

Your first question was:
" what all do you need to do to your lets say stock spec motor to
turbo it? "

The Answer is add a Brass Tee to your oil pressure sending unit, for your turbo charger Oil Feed....Then: Where-ever you decide...you need a drain hole 2x the size of the Feed and a Line connecting it from turbo to Oil Pan.

Thats it on a stock spec engine....bolt on the turbo exhaust sytem, turbocharger(s) and Charge Air Piping system and upgraded fuel system on, install 1 heat range colder plugs and proceed to tune from low boost level like 5 or 7 psi, then gradually work your way up to when the Headgaskets Pop....then upgrade to a MLS Headgasket, ARP Studs, drop the oil, install fresh oil and do it again.

Cast Pistons WILL live above 600hp...dont let nobody get you thinking any different.

You want some more info?....you should really dig into AnotherA's Turbo 71 Swinger thread.

Here You Go: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=49548

The ONLY thing I would have done different...."personally"....I would have went with a Custom Garrett, or Precision Turbocharger....and I prefer a Open T4 Flange..... The first turbo AnotherA chose was a .68 AR, and was IMHO too much choke to be a Single Turbo on a V8.

I personally would start with a 1.04 AR, and sacrifice a bit of 2500-ish boost for 3000-3500ish BOOST...buts that just me.

Turbocharging is not a cheap road...but the gains are well worth the coin.
Another thing....you'd be surprised how far stock components will go. Chevrolet coaxed ONE THOUSAND hp out of a 2.4L Ecotec 4 cylinder using over 85% stock components...imagine that for second...Then research what they did...nothing dramatic. They installed a Forged Crankshaft, Forged Rods, and Thermal Badd *** coated pistons in there, Solid Copper headgasket, head studs, and O-ringed Head/Block and cranked the boost to 50 psi.

Think about that.

Choosing the right compressor is more important than the decision To Turbocharge/ or Not To Turbocharge.

I'll even reply again to let you know......

You "could" turbocharge your engine with the estimated 10.5:1 CR...but the amount of boost before you run into detonation ON RACE gas would be at max 16 psi.

Turbochargers, LOVE engines with 7.8:1-9:1.

THE Numerically LOWER CR Number, the MORE Boost a engine CAN ingest without detonating....but also is even more soggy down low.

Ideally...8.5 is the sweet spot.....you can run up to around 1.2 bar (18 psi) on Pump Premium, above 20 psi, you want 100 PLUS octane...above 28 psi....116 octane ONLY.

that is all for now.

ya i knew you would lol thank you! i tried to call the other day but my phone messed up. i think you answered my questions. it was kinda for anyone wanting to feel turbo spool!!!!!!!! lol so you HAVE to have fuel, oil, turbo, exhaust and intake to get started then you can wait till other stuff breaks?

the heads on my engine are pretty nice for cast iron heads so i could get either a thicker gasket but dont know if one thick enough could handle much boost. or different pistons and push more boost and probably last longer. do you have to have a wastgate or bov? i learn best by hands on so sorry if im not getting it right away lol but i am trying. if you twin turbo a v8 do both headers have to be exactly the same length?

Where do you start? How about with this. 8)

Unfortunately, it isn't an open T4 flange like Prine suggested, but a split one.

"what do you need to turbo our small blocks?"

Answer: More room.

:)

-Sefus

" "what do you need to turbo our small blocks?"

Answer: More room.

-Sefus"

TTdone.jpg

With manual steering get a set of magnum manifolds flip them left to right so that pass is on the dr and the dr is on the pass, which will make them dump up front. pick up a couple of U-bends to bring the exhaust back to the top of the engine. In my experience, especially if you're still running torsion bars, it's easier to run twins than a single. Because it's easier to snake 2 2.25/2.5" pipes out than 1 3/3.25".

"Turbocharging is not a cheap road...but the gains are well worth the coin."

This statement is often true, but if you pay attention it can be done quite affordably. I already had a big enough fuel pump, but had to upgrade my fuel line, run all the oil plumbing, intake and exhaust tubing, + 2 turbos and I ended up about $1100 out the door. For the setup in the picture. If you have any questions let me know.

Many ways to skin that cat depending on how much you want out of it...

l_9b9054c3ae4548c5bf9960dc939b5bf5.jpg

-
Back