What is the torque for

-

cuda67

Reaction score
a M 1 intake on a 360 magnum MP crate engine. All I can find is 45 ft/lbs and that seems like quite alot. I have also seen 35 ft/lbs and that still seems like alot. I started to put 45 on tonight but quit because it just feels like too much. I then started to put on 35 and quit again because it still felt like too much. It feels like I am tightening the heck out of them and the torque has not been reached. Do I ignore my gut and go to 45 or is that wrong. It feels like I am going to strip the bolts or something. Please help, I want to start this engine Saturday. I am just checking torques and these don't seem to be close. Thanks

12 ft lbs is what factory magnum intakes are torqued to if that helps.

12 ft lbs is what factory magnum intakes are torqued to if that helps.

Does that apply to the M1 intake? I ask only because the factory torque is for fuel injection. I am pretty sure that I will loosen the two bolts I did today and wait till I get some more info. I would lean towards the 12 more than the 45. Do you think Mancini would have the right answer?

What size bolts are they? If their 5/16" (I think that's what magnum's are) they should be torqued at approx. 20 ft. lbs. If their 3/8" bolts 35 lbs. is correct

BTW: if you over torque them you probably won't strip them, you'll break them off in the head (major ouch)!

When I was putting my M1 Magnum on it recommended 28 ft lbs. I broke one before I got to 28. I now torque them to 18 and have had no problems.

Jack

What size bolts are they? If their 5/16" (I think that's what magnum's are) they should be torqued at approx. 20 ft. lbs. If their 3/8" bolts 35 lbs. is correct

BTW: if you over torque them you probably won't strip them, you'll break them off in the head (major ouch)!

The bolts are 1/2 inch and that is why I think I will go with 20 or less pounds. Your BTW is my concern.

Thanks

When I was putting my M1 Magnum on it recommended 28 ft lbs. I broke one before I got to 28. I now torque them to 18 and have had no problems.

Jack

That is what I will be doing today, 30-45 ft/lbs is just a little wacky. I am sure the bolts will break before you reach either of those numbers.

Thanks.

The bolts are 1/2 inch and that is why I think I will go with 20 or less pounds. Your BTW is my concern.

Thanks

Holy cow, 1/2" bolts for an intake manifold!!! Are you talking about the size of the socket for the head of the diameter of the shank??? Just in case, if you are trying to get the torque value for the head size, you will break it off my friend. L8r

Jim

tighten them by feel till they are tight, then after running it,,,, go around and retighten each bolt again.

put the same force behind the wrench as you would an after market header bolt or bell housing bolt.

Most of time a torque wrench is used on this kinda stuff...it ends up leaking or getting loose over a short period of time.

for me and motors, torque wrenches are for flywheel/head/rod/main bolts...after that...I do everything else by feel and use the proper drive.

Holy cow, 1/2" bolts for an intake manifold!!! Are you talking about the size of the socket for the head of the diameter of the shank??? Just in case, if you are trying to get the torque value for the head size, you will break it off my friend. L8r

Jim

Sorry, that is the head/socket size. 5/16 is about right.

-
Back