What kind of shocks?

-

Gadabout

Reaction score
Recently got this old girl, shocks seem soft. The rear leaf springs are unbroken and the front torsion springs are intact. Any suggestions as to if I should go with a stiffer than stock shock to protect these 60 year old components, or will basic shock absorber be the better choice?

20240218_123532 (1).jpg

top of the line shocks are always a good investment. even if they're overkill for the current suspension setup, they're head and shoulders above parts store units and will support any direction you want to go with future upgrades.

that being said, if you don't want to drop 500 bones on some high end shocks new monroes or gabriels from the parts store are better than clapped out no-name vato-zone specials that are a million years old.

also, these cars are extremely under sprung from the factory and respond very favorably to uprated torsion bars and springs-- especially the /6 cars.

cool car BTW, looks super straight and complete!

Thanks, it is complete, but little items like the wiper switch and the speedo are crapped out. I'm looking for a smooth ride, and not racing suspension, but want to protect the existing springs.

I'm looking for a smooth ride, and not racing suspension, but want to protect the existing springs.
V8 bars and springs will go a long, long way to making a sure footed more modern feel to the ride without being harsh. in fact you can go fairly heavy on the spring rates with good shocks before ride quality suffers.

anyway, i don't understand the statement "protect the existing springs"? can you explain?

Metal fatigue. I had a '64 some years ago, and the rear leafs were cracked in half. I am guessing that after 60 years there is a danger of the same thing happening here, but it hasn't.

Torsion springs on the front, same concern. Sixty years is a lot of twisting, and I am concerned they will fail from metal fatigue, too.

Or maybe this is all in my head, and they will keep on going with or without stiffer shocks.

My driving style is sedate, conservative. Not looking for something to allow me to corner at highway speed.

Last edited:
I put NOS heavy duty hydraulic (non gas charged) Monroes on mine and it rides quite good for what I do.

i don't think shocks are going to make a lick of difference as to when or if a spring is going to fail.

concern of failure due to fatigue is reasonable. i'd replace because they're old and clapped out, and because i'm replacing i'd take the opportunity to upgrade at the same time.

-
Back