WHAT NOW? How's this come off??

-
Here are some pics grouped together..........You can see the access hole for the set screw....but if you have one of those goofy locks, this bell is probably completely different........... Next pic you can see the ignition switch and lock has been installed and that lousy tapered pin partly tapped in......Next shows the pin in and the retaining collar tapped back over it, and the inner snap ring put back in place on the column shaft.

We did a dry run to be sure everything fits properly........now we'll dis-assemble and properly refinish and grease, and put it all together like new.

Thanks for the help guys.................FABO is great. 8)

111_1144.jpg

111_1145.jpg

111_1147.jpg

111_1148.jpg

Looks like you're on the right track now. Is there a plastic plug to fill the hole?

Jerry

I was wondering if maybe it came with one, but there's no evidence of one being there........It'd be interesting to find out though........It would be a nice finishing touch when the paint goes on. 8)

Check out this site: www.caplugs.com

Do a little digging and you can probably find a plug with the correct dimensions to fit that hole. These folks will send you a samples kit with your choice of plugs, caps, etc. - I think up to 10 various types (for FREE).

Might be worth a try,
Jerry

Yep, there was a flush plastic plug in the hole, same color as the column. Always wondered what it was there for. Thanks for clearing up that little mystery.

Absolutely not........You'd ruin the column shaft...........If you simply put a drop or 2 of good cutting solvent on the "sunken" end of the pin and tap it a few times to get it in there, then hit it with a proper sized punch, it will come right out................. No drilling necessary...........

If the original pin is IN there, you must drive it from the SUNKEN end, NOT the flush end...........The flush end is wider, and you'll just beat your brains out for nothing. 8)

Did you ever get done with the steering column bells?

Just like see some pics of the final product.

We just put a metallic black on with 2 coats of clear lacquer....extreme close up makes it look dusty.... Looks a lot nicer than that column shift crud..........You can see in the background the reason why we converted this thing........Custom fabricated Hurst auto stick....looks like the 4 speed, but without the "hump"..........Dash is all apart getting an ALSA Chrome finish with real Cherry Wood veneer and black detailing.......Custom Cherry grips are sittin' on the pistol........We're gonna post a detailed thread on the Hurst auto conversion, and another on the dash panel refinishing. 8)

111_1155.jpg

We just put a metallic black on with 2 coats of clear lacquer....extreme close up makes it look dusty.... Looks a lot nicer than that column shift crud..........You can see in the background the reason why we converted this thing........Custom fabricated Hurst auto stick....looks like the 4 speed, but without the "hump"..........Dash is all apart getting an ALSA Chrome finish with real Cherry Wood veneer and black detailing.......Custom Cherry grips are sittin' on the pistol........We're gonna post a detailed thread on the Hurst auto conversion, and another on the dash panel refinishing. 8)

Very nice. Glad it worked out for ya.

I got the entire dash cluster out and rewiring the whole car with new wiring with EZ wiring fuse box and harness. Also installing Auto Meter MCX gauges. Rewiring a whole car is fun .... I think. :toothy10:

I'd rather disassemble an entire motor to replace a single spun cam bearing than have to go under the dash for anything :protest: Nice to see it worked out for you.

-
Back