whats up with the 2.45 8 1/4 housing?

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
Ok so my car is a 1974 dart swinger 318 original car, was looking at a suregrip unit but it says will not work with a 2.45 housing, my car dosent have that housing does it?

What gear ratio does your car have now? No way any of us can know, only you. Maybe your misunderstanding what it's saying, in that case it means what your looking at won't work if your rear end has 2.45 gears, not a reference to a housing ID #. The 2.45 geared rear end was an oddball that higher numerical factory gear sets or sure grip units won't work in. If I'm not mistaken they have overcame that problem with aftermarket parts. Cass at Dr.Diff would be the man to talk to. I'm sure he can tell you for sure what will work and what won't.

My real question was, was Chrysler still putting the 2.45 gear into darts into 1974? the suregrip unit I am looking at is out of a 27 spline Dakota but it lists that it will not fit in a 2.45 housing

My real question was, was Chrysler still putting the 2.45 gear into darts into 1974? the suregrip unit I am looking at is out of a 27 spline Dakota but it lists that it will not fit in a 2.45 housing
they were using those up past 1977 . my understanding is that the 245 and 271 gearsets used a smaller case 8 1/4, where the 276 and up used the bigger housing. I know this to true in the B bodies , not sure on A body 8 1/4's, though I would guess it would be the same for all

can I find out why gear ratio I have from my build sheet?

my code is D55 on my build sheet and online says its 245.1 gear so guess on out of luck on the one I found

Where is he one you found? I'm looking for a decent deal one one too. There was one on ebay that was the auburn type for $215 shipped supposedly checked and rebuilt but I was looking for a better price. they are $300 new for the dana type.
I don't know where you will find one for the small case.

My Scamp has an 8 1/4 that originally had 2.45 gears. It now has an Auburn and 3.91 gears. I had it installed locally. No special parts were required. I think the only difference is the carrier - not the housing.

I added an Auburn LSD to my originally 2.45:1 8-1/4" rear. We did run into a problem where the passenger side of the case needed to be machined to allow the differential to fit and rotate properly. Didn't cost much though.

I had a 245 suregrip unit a couple of months ago and ended up selling it to a member here for 85.00 $ that included shipping. They are out there.

Bob

-
Back