Which Aftermarket Dual Master Cylinder Kit Best for '65 Abody?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Just starting looking into the aftermarket. I thought my first "hit" would work, but "fine" print states only for converting manual brake vehicles to power/dual master cylinder (see link below). I have factory power brakes on my '65 Formula S so I need to keep looking. Any experience out there that can help guide me in the right direction? Thank you.

1962-74 Mopar A/B/E Body 8 Inch Dual Power Brake Booster Kit

engine installed 2 copy.JPG

Why reinvent the wheel or needlessly pay for someone to assemble a "kit"? This isn't complex or difficult. Get this master cylinder, which will bolt on and fit on your existing booster. Get this splitter block. Get some Cunifer line and bend up new master cylinder-to-splitter lines (make a loop-de-loop-de-loop in each one to allow for flex). Fill, bleed…done!

Thanks, but I would use existing stuff except for the fact my existing factory booster failed for the second time and I'm done with it.

straight dual master cylinder works great for me no booster needed you can prob use old lines just fine as long as they are in good shape.

I have never had a problem on A Bodys with just a manual brake system.
I have the unique problem of having my foot mostly cut off boat racing and
not being able to generate a lot of petal pressure = Still no problem with the manual
brakes working well for me.

I am with you guys, ABodies are fine with manual brakes. However, with wimpy generations (female co-owner of vehicle and grand kids) coming up behind me, I prefer to maintain the power brake feature.

What did you do the first time the booster failed? What did you replace it with or whom did you get to rebuild it? Because if you got on the cruddy-parts bus at any of its many stops, yeah, you'll keep having problems until you get off that bus and onto another.

My go-to for many years: Booster Dewey.

Booster Dewey looks like quality stuff (two year warranty) and shows an Abody unit (no master cylinder) @ $695.00 plus international shipping plus customs fees. I wish I could afford it, but not at the moment.

if you're down with a little DIY and scrounging about you could probably get something together that works and uses all factory mopar bits.

if you you pull the booster and measure the stud spacing on the brackets, you can compare that to other more common boosters-- 73+ and then you can just mate the corresponding master to that, plumb it all in and you're golden. you'll probably need an adjustable pushrod, but that's no biggie.

if i was a betting man, i'd lay money that you could either bolt the 73+ booster up or the whole assembly bracket and all.

-
Back