Which bellhousing to use?

-

Sgt Mopar

Reaction score
I am converting my 70 dart 340 from auto to 4 spd. I recently purchased a '76 A-833 O/D. I have been doing some research, but still have a few questions. I know if I use an older bellhousing I will have to bore the bearing retainer hole to 4.80 and downsize the retainer on the trans. to 4.80 and it would work on my '73 motor and '70 body. But if I use an O/D bellhousing, will it bolt correctly to my motor? I really dont want to have to machine an older housing and im worried that if I use an O/D bellhousing it wont work. I imagine that either bellhousing will bolt to the O/D with the exception of the bearing retainer right? I have links on brewers to the two bellhousings I am looking at. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BH482

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BH859

The bearing retainer on the OD trans is 5.125". I don't know where your 4.80" reference is coming from. That is, unless your OD unit has been modified.

I was talking about the older bellhousings. I read that the smaller holes could be machined out to 4.80 ( any larger would go into the bolt holes ) and change the retainer on the O/D to 4.80. That way I could match an older bellhousing to the O/D if need be. But I would like to use the newer bellhousing with the 5.125, but I'm not sure it would fit my motor and car.

What I'm really asking is, I could modify my O/D if i have to to use the non O/D housing but I would rather use the O/D bellhousing. But will the o/d housing bolt up ok to my motor? Thanks.

I used a '75 or '76 o/d bellhousing in my '67 Barracuda, with a '70 340, with no problems at all. You should be all set!

Ok....I got it now. Sometimes I'm slow on the uptake. lol. Yes, the OD bellhousin should work fine. I'm fixin to put one in a 1963 Dart...although mine is a Slant 6, but the transmission will work fine.

Cheaper to buy the od bell.
Factory parts are always the best way.

It's alot easier to turn down the bearing retainer in a lathe in order to fit the bellhousing than it is to index a bellhousing to bore out the hole.

Can't you swap the 4.80 bearing retainer with the 5.125 piece. I thought that was what I did when i put the OD unit in my 68 roadrunner with stock bellhousing. I think the smaller 3 bolt one is the one that won't swap. The 4.80 and 5.125 shares the same 4 bolt hole pattern. It was a long time ago when I did that.
And I think you can buy those parts new.

I don't understand the point of swapping anything or turning anything down when the right parts are available to make it bolt up like it would have come from the factory. I guess I'm missin sumffin.

Not sure what parts you mean? The trans. will bolt up, its just the fact that the bearing retainer on the trans. is 5.125" and the most common bellhousing I am finding is 4.80". I would like to find the O/D bellhousing, but havent been that lucky. Anyone know where to purchase the smaller retainer and how difficult it is to change?

Not sure what parts you mean? The trans. will bolt up, its just the fact that the bearing retainer on the trans. is 5.125" and the most common bellhousing I am finding is 4.80". I would like to find the O/D bellhousing, but havent been that lucky. Anyone know where to purchase the smaller retainer and how difficult it is to change?
i think i have one that im not gonna use ile measure it. let me know if your interested. $50.00 shipped to you.

-
Back