Whiney Wheel Bearings?

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
After about a 5 minute drive at normal speed, when I slow down I get a whine that sounds like a constant metal-on-metal screech... Braking does not have any effect on this noise, it only stops when the car comes to a complete stop.
Wheel bearings maybe?

Does it sound like "Woo woo woo woo woo woo" when you are rolling around? Does it vary with speed? Like worse when at full speed but begins to get quieter as you go slower?

Does it sound like "Woo woo woo woo woo woo" when you are rolling around? Does it vary with speed? Like worse when at full speed but begins to get quieter as you go slower?

Can't hear is much at full speed due to road noise, wind, ect... actually if anything it gets better the faster I go. louder when I go slower

feel the hubs if its a wheel baring they well carry alot of heat.but I dam sure would be checking it out.its not that much trouble to pull it apart and check........Artie:angel10::angel10:

hmm, does the noise gets faster if you go faster? like it doesn't have to be louder as it will always stay the same volume so it will get harder to hear at higher speeds, like a radio set at a constant level. But does it go like wooo woooo wooooo to wo wo wo wo wo wo wo?

x2 on what godfather of chrysler said. Just pull it apart, they aren't hard to check and if they are bad, hell, you are already halfway done replacing them:cheers:

please dont take this the wrong way but you do know whow to pack a wheel baring??? and is the noies in the front or the rear..Artie

please dont take this the wrong way but you do know whow to pack a wheel baring??? and is the noies in the front or the rear..Artie
Yes I know how to pack a bearing, I'm guessing perhaps the rear end since when I hit a speed bump earlier it stopped for 1/2 of a second when my rear end bumped the speed bump. (speed bumps around here are like curbs)

Yes I know how to pack a bearing, I'm guessing perhaps the rear end since when I hit a speed bump earlier it stopped for 1/2 of a second when my rear end bumped the speed bump. (speed bumps around here are like curbs)
well from that i think it could be a brake shoe draging????a spring my have come off....Artie

I found this interesting.. in my case i considered it more of a chuff chuff chuff.. sound.. slower at slower speeds, speeds up as I do.. stays at a constant volume.. almost as if i had something in just one spot that rubs.. drives me insane.. I have had all 4 corners apart several times trying to figure out what the hell the noise is.. had the drums cut.. on and on.. still no idea.. if this 'woo woo woo' you speak of is the same thing I have going on, do you have any insight as to what it is and how I might make it stop?? lol

I don't recall exactly... Would this play a significant role in discovering what the problem is?

yes it would narrow your search down to left or right.

left hand turn takes pressure off of right side and right hand turns take pressure off of left if my tired mind servers me right. if it makes a noise all the time except when going around left turns check right side, and vise versa

I found this interesting.. in my case i considered it more of a chuff chuff chuff.. sound.. slower at slower speeds, speeds up as I do.. stays at a constant volume.. almost as if i had something in just one spot that rubs.. drives me insane.. I have had all 4 corners apart several times trying to figure out what the hell the noise is.. had the drums cut.. on and on.. still no idea.. if this 'woo woo woo' you speak of is the same thing I have going on, do you have any insight as to what it is and how I might make it stop?? lol
My wheel bearing are goin on my daily or need a good packing and they make that noise lol. But I know for a fact that it is a bearing issue. Do the turn diagnostic thing, if your noise grows louder as you turn on that one side of the car, you have your issue. it does it on both sides of my lil beater so its probably time for new bearings:iconbigg:

@66plyvaliant: Yes sir you are correct on the turn thing:profiler:

UPDATE: Greased the wheel bearings and Axel bearings. Still the same awful screech... I'm down to either trans or rear. I'm putting my bet on the rear end... guess it's tear-down time on my next day off...

-
Back