whitewall tires

-

Tinbasher

Reaction score
Do any of the major tire manufacturers still make whitewall tires at all?
Not counting Diamond Back or Coker. Their offerings are a little too pricey for me. Am thinking narrow whitewalls not over inch and a half wide.

Anybody out there with first hand (or any other hand) knowledge on this subject?

I have been looking for quite a while. The only way that I can get what I want is having Diamond Back, vulcanize a 7/8" white wall on a D70/14 radial. I still haven't done it, though. Has anyone?

Cooper tires are probably one of the only tire companies still making a white wall radial. I put reproduction WSW Polyglas tires on my Challenger but they weren't cheap. You can't beat the look though. Kelsey Tire makes them.

I also had to put Hankooks on my Valiant. I originally had 13", and the first set developed sidewall failure in about five years and 8,000 miles. The second set was on for three years until I upgraded to 14", and they are still good at two years and 2,000 miles. I wish I could have bought an American brand, but didn't have a choice at the time.

If you want a cheaper alternative to whitewall tires, look at buying a set of Portawalls. They are an insert that goes between the tire and rim that really look like a whitewall.

I have a set on my '66 Bug.

Check it out at Portawalls.com

Attachments

• 4338996.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 142
-
Back