Why do I have such sloppy steering?

-
All good advice, but I feel obligated to include a safety heads-up.....

When adjusting your steering box make sure the steering wheel returns to center after making a turn! I've seen guys over-adjust the steering box and go for a road test and after making a turn, the steering wheel would NOT return to straight! One friend almost railed a parked car. Your adjusting the free-play when the steering gear is on-center, or in the straight-ahead position. This is where it will wear, and adjusting the gear so it's nice and tight on-center almost guarantees a binding gear at a full turn if the box is worn. Beware!

As for a wandering Mopar, these things tracked like shopping carts when new, especially with power steering. Mopar was known for having THE most over-assisted power steering on the planet, aside from an earth mover. You are constantly sawing at the wheel. But if something IS worn, start with your wheel bearing adjustment and work your way in. If you have the front wheels off the ground (and the car is safely supported....) grab the sides of the tires and wiggle back and forth as if you were trying to steer it. If it feels loose, inspect the tie rod ends and arms. Then grab the tire from the top & bottom and push in & out. If you feel looseness, possibly a ball joint. If all this feels tigh (I still recommend a pro inspect it if your not sure....) I'd suspect the lower control arm bushings, which are a pain in the *** to replace and are rarely serviced. Start with those wheel bearings. That's a simple inspection and if bad or loose will produce the problems you mentioned. If your not sure, or inexperienced in front end work, seek some help/advice from someone whom has done this work before. Suspension-steering, and brakes, are the most important repairs that you can perform. If your not sure of what your doing, get help.

Oh...one more thing. You do have a set of matched tires on the front end the same size and in good condition, right? A bad tire will cause a pull too...

They had problems holding on to alignments, yes. But once properly set and held they were very good indeed. The Moog kit helped with the holding alignment. I'd driven a number of 60's Buicks and Chevrolets that had lighter and numb-er steering (and brakes BTW) than any oftheera Mopar I'd driven.

That may be Karen Pelosi if her stinkin' health care package does not pass. The video shows mental illness at its finest.

What I usually do is after having the front tires off the ground and check for looseness I lower the front tires on to ramps to put the weight of the car on the tires but still allow me to get underneath. then with someone slowly moving the steering wheel back and forth look and feel for sloop in the linkage and all the way back up to the steering box coupler. Car not running BTW.

My $.02, Speaking from experience with my 65 Barracuda, proceed methodically. First replace worn-out parts in your steering and frontend, then find an alignment pro who knows to dial in the extra caster needed for modern tires. After you do that, if the car still feels sloppy, then tighten the steering box in small increments. Don't over-tighten the box; if you do you will be all over the road and it can be downright scary!

after all of the above is done have the alignment done and ask for a 1/2 * more positive caster will do wonders for the road feel

Maybe someone meant to post to another topic and mistakenly posted here, and is embarrassed - who knows?

Since this topic has been re-awakened, I'd like to post a question to the forum about the new suspensions on the modern Chargers/Challengers/etc. That is: what do you all think of them.

If this is too off topic, just let it drop - that's okay ;)

My Dart has less than 35K on it, and everything in the front end was pretty much entirely worn out. Tie rod ends, ball joints, you name it.

I changed all that stuff and its sweet now. I just went with Moog replacement parts instead of fancy poly stuff.

Something else that should be mentioned is that the stock power steering is way overpowered, and the 5.5 turns lock to lock (I think that's right) on the steering box doesn't help.

I switched over to manual steering while I had it apart, and love it. Though tight maneuvering is something of a chore now (I don't parallel park though-LOL), the direct feeling of the manual steering on the highway and around town is way worth it.

Steve

LXguy,

I agree that the stock p/s was too light weight up to the early 70s. I like the weight on the two 75s I've owned though, and on the 74 Charger we used to own. But all the p/s, at least as early as 71 (that's the earliest I've owned with it) is about 3.5 turns L-2-L - same as for the Q/R manual.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]
Hey I owe everyone an apology for that "Karen Pelosi" statement. I was answering someone else and one of the kids hit SEND and away it went to the wrong post. I am sorry. Man do I need adult supervision or what!!:banghead:

-
Back