Wife's PT Cruiser snapped a timing belt

-
There is an updated timing belt tensioner for the 2001's. It comes with a rear cover, tensioner, and the front covers. If your new belt let loose after 40k miles, you might find your issue. There's also an idler pulley in there, and the t-belt runs the water pump. I always do them all, but you probably know that now.
Putting the belt on it isn't a quick job. They say to discharge the a/c to disconnect the lines going into the drier and the evaporator. You're also supposed to disconnect the down pipe to get the motor up high enough to get the bracket off for the front mount.
I just finished doing a head job on one last weekend.
-Jon

For some good advice on this subject may I suggest you go to www.ptcruiserlinks.com. Everything I've read there says that the engine is a non interference engine. They say that when the timing belt is changed that you should also change the tension-er and water pump. And also it is said that this belt is a real pain to install correctly and often suggest that unless you are a very skilled mechanic, it might be best to have it done in a shop.
Thanks for the link . . . it's a good source of info. Looks like it's going to be a job and a half, but I think I'll tackle it. Hey, it's about what we enjoy doing . . . . working on cars!!

My daughter has a 01 Cruiser and broke the belt.

It didn't bend anything.

But there are some parts that need to be changed that are redesigned, don't remember if motor mount or what it was. But we had the new and improved part put on (sorry, I'm getting old, remember what it cost me, but not all they did) IF you change the belt also change the water pump while you are at it.

The way the engine is in there it is a pain to change, but it can be done.

Again thanks guys . . . I towed it home yesterday on a car dolly, got to push it in the polebarn. Too hot, too old. lol, I'll keep ya updated.

-
Back