Wilwood Disc / 11" Drum Master Cylinder question

-

tohnloke

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Yes, I know, another Master Cylinder question. I'm putting the finishing touches on a Wilwood Front Brake Kit on my Dart. The thing has been off the ground since I left for college (2 summers ago) and so I'm hoping to get to drive it a little bit before I go back in mid August. (MIZ!).

Anyways. The car still will soon enough have an 8.75 with 11" drums as well as the wilwood discs. The instructions with the wilwood kit (it's an older kit that I bought used) said to to use a 1 1/16" master cylinder (like 260-4893). I know this seems pretty darn big, but I wasn't sure if having 11" drums out back compared to the 9" drums would be making the pedal feel harder or softer. I'm okay with a pretty firm pedal feel, but I want it to actually have some travel. Will someday be a 383 car.

So what do y'all think for a M/C? Is the 1 1/16? too big? Should I step down to the 1 1/32 or pay the extra for a wilwood 1"?

Also, is the fancy looking wilwood master cylinder significantly better than the other 2 bolt aluminum style ones?

Thanks,
Tony

Can I guess that you're using power brakes? From what I've read on here and elsewhere, using a larger bore increases pedal effort. I've read a few threads on here where people use either a 1" or 15/16" diameter MC...it increases pedal travel, but from the people who've done it, the feel is better and effort is reduced...but-that was with stock size brakes. I'll be watching this thread since you're using a different combo with large drums and the Wilwood front kit. You might want to search through the threads and see what others have used/what works together.

Can I guess that you're using power brakes? From what I've read on here and elsewhere, using a larger bore increases pedal effort. I've read a few threads on here where people use either a 1" or 15/16" diameter MC...it increases pedal travel, but from the people who've done it, the feel is better and effort is reduced...but-that was with stock size brakes. I'll be watching this thread since you're using a different combo with large drums and the Wilwood front kit. You might want to search through the threads and see what others have used/what works together.

I used one for a 87 Chrysler, works great ! but I have 4 wheel disc brakes. think you can use the same w/ a diff. dist. block .!

Non-Power brakes. I ended up putting up the extra money for the Wilwood with a 1" bore (although I still got it on sale) for several reasons. I've heard things about potentially having to bore other ones and I didn't want to deal with that. I have read that some people think even the 1 1/32" has too much pedal effort. Hopefully this weekend I can get everything back together and driving.

The car still has a 7 1/4 under it with 9" brakes, but hopefully soon I can get the 8 3/4 under there with the 11" and report back. This could be quite a process as I'm trying to run 275/35/18s on a 9.5" wheel. Although perhaps I could grab the rallyes off of dad's Cuda... :D Either way I have to get axles and maybe spring hangers and probably have to cut a driveshaft. I'd like to do it before school starts back up but I'm not sure if I'll have the time or not.

-
Back