Wiper pivot seals.

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I want to replace the pivot seals on the 72 scamp and the 74 dart but I never had good luck with the kits that you get from Legendary or Laysons they all have those black foam seals that stick out of the body. Is there a peice of rubber tubeing or something better than the foam that can slide over the pivot arm and seal up the hole in the cowl better? What did you guys do?

I used umbrella valve stem seals from an engine rebuild set. Got the kit with the foam seal but went the valve seal instead. Put them on a '74 Dart Sport. You will tear 3-4 of them before you get one on. The shaft is a little bit bigger than the valve stem. Shove a couple seals on a felt pen a couple days before you try to put them on. Something with a smooth taper that you can stretch them over. Don't worry they will be snug when you put them on. I took the pivots out to make it easier to work on them. Drilled the housing, put in grease zirk, used the new gasket, and have no leaks.
For water to get in, it has to go up under the seal and then go between the shaft and housing. It can't get through the seal or the grease. No more wet left foot or drip on center hump. That's been 6-7 yrs ago, no leaks. Note: clock the zirk so you can get to it later. DUH!
Doesn't look factory but works good. Did I say "No leaks"?

I've used the valve stem seals also. I soaked them in a pan of very hot water for a few minutes to make them more plyable before slipping them on the shafts.
Bob

-
Back