Woodgrain dash covering

-

howco4

Reaction score
Is there anything available to recover the old ugly woodgrain covering on my dash plate and glove box door? Some of it has been scraped off over time, showing the silver flashing it was adhered to. Just started my project, (70 Swinger), and I like to work from the inside out.

I read something in Moparmuscle about a laminate the you can re-adhere, I think you can find it at your local fabric shop (but not sure). Or you can go a custom route and make your own out of laminate from a top end plywood shop. The stuff comes real thin and you can glue it over the existing panels. then you can trim it off with a razorknife. I'm probably going to do that. I have a Duster that has a half-round peice on the bottom so I was going to use a peice of Mahogany and make it look like the original.
Or if you have big $$$$ you can check out Rocky Mountain Dashes and take a peek at their aluminum powdercoated dashes. I got the Instrument cluster panel and it looks nice with all aftermarket gauges, but I thought the whole panel looked too plain for me, so I'm going to use some of my cabinetmaking skills and go with a custom look.

Thanks for the tip. If I can come up with something, I will probably lighten up the color of the wood grain. Howard

Hey i tried a search for this "rocky mountain dashes" place but nothing turned up. Do they have a website? can u send me a link?

If you send a picture of the dash, I might be able to help...........Have a number of possibilities available.............I think I have your dash, BUT need a picture.............

I just completed the dash in my 73 Duster. I had pretty much the same problem you describe. I bought a complete set of Burl Vinyl overlay decal, it's not perfect but looks much better than the original. I bought it on Ebay, but the dealer sells there quite often. If you would like to contact me at [email protected] I can send you photos and where to contact the dealer.

Thanks guys: Just located a complete dash today. Found one in fairly mint condition by using craigs list. I will have to remove it however. Will start by removing mine for practice. I think it entails removing the windshield to do it, but it will be worth it. My dash is a little hacked up by the previous owner, so this was a lucky find. Tnx: Howard

-
Back