-

TimDart

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm considering changing out my comp cam XE268 can for a Voodoo hydraulic
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513

Voodoo has a little more duration but approx 25% more lift. Is it worth the effort?
I ask as I have fitted LA X Indy heads from Brian at IMM and they flow more and I could use the lift especially with the improved lift.

I appreciate there are more exotic choices and rollers but I can't afford the latter.

340 motor with 9.7 comp, TTI headers and all the usual upgrades. It is powering a 73 B body so need to keep duration sensible with 3.55 gears.
Car runs wel but I'm leaving quite a lot on the table currently, I think.

Ever thought of some 1.6 rockers? That will give you back that lift, without all the work!

Honestly, it isn't worth all that. I'd spend my money on a wide-band and you will be great.

Just remember, lower duration, more low end punch for that heavy beast...

Actually no, I'm quite ignorant when it comes to rockers and choices and hadn't considered that.

I'd intended to use some vgc 273 adjustable as they will likely provide closer to 1.5 than stamped rockers.

With 1.6 rockers you will be at .508/.512 roughly. I'd keep the cam you've got for that car, I realize that 5 degrees is one step UP, but if your needing to NOT trade torque down low for power up top, right where you are is perfect. Anything above 225-230 you start trading heavily.

Again, I reccomend a wide band, I left a bunch of power on the table before I got smart. Probablly 20-40ft/hp where it's needed the most. A 1.6 swap is maybe 15hp.

Bang for the buck goes to the WB.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-10230.html

Thanks I'll look into that. I do have WB, nice kit!

Excellent! Yeah, I just hate to see you go through all that work and it be opposite or the same as what you have now. XE is a good grind!

Another thing, do you happen to have vacuum advance plugged in and working with a 8-12 sweep? That can help with off the line and around town, without any performance loss and better mpg!

Ever thought of some 1.6 rockers? That will give you back that lift, without all the work!

Honestly, it isn't worth all that. I'd spend my money on a wide-band and you will be great.

Just remember, lower duration, more low end punch for that heavy beast...

I agree with the 1.6 ratio rocker arm suggestion! It will be less hassle over all and you won't need to tear everything apart.

I have EQ heads prepared by Brian with the same cam and about the same compression and I have 1.6 ratio rocker arms. Granted, my heads are EQ Magnum heads so 1.6 ratio is standard on those.

My point is that, the higher ratio rocker arms will give you a bit more lift and will snap those valves open faster too. That yielded me plenty of torque and horsepower for such a mild cam with my 360. Your 340 probably won't have the same mount of torque due to the shorter stroke though.

Call Brian up and he may set you up with a set of PRW rockers. Or maybe he may have a better suggestion.

Ok interesting stuff. Only problem is the 1.6 rockers do seem a lot of dollars, or at least looking at Hughes, they are.
If affordable it does look a lot better than tearing down for a cam change and break in etc..
I can call Brian, he certainly helped with advice on the heads and they are excellent kit.

IMO, not worth the trouble. I don't think you will notice a bit of difference. And I don't think
a swap to 1.6 rockers is a very cost effective upgrade either. Good aftermarket rockers aren't cheap and cheap aftermarket rockers aren't good. Unless you already have the 273 rockers, I wouldn't bother with those either. The factory stamped rocker is lighter and if your lifter preload is reasonable with them, I doubt that the adjustable rockers will really benefit you. Not knowing your present combo, there might be better, more cost effective areas to upgrade. Converter, carb, intake, electric fan, ignition recurve, fresh air induction, etc?

I'm pretty happy with the combo I have, just seemed the cam was a touch light.
I have a good convertor (JW), new Speed Demon carb with annualer booster, air gap, decent igntion, K & N filter, true duals etc..
Part of the fun for this car is shaving a few seconds off the original 16.2 et whilst remaining entirely tractable for road use. I live in the UK so cutting a few corners is necessary with cost of shipping/taxes etc
I should also add that the trans is a new rebuild with shift kit, higher rpm governor and bolt in sprag, so that will shift fine.

-
Back