Years of rust proving removal?

-

dart gt

Reaction score
Hello everyone.I pulled the motor out of my Scamp and decided to clean the engine bay up some.There is stuff like yellow glue and rust check all dryed up all over.I tried varsol and it wouldn't touch it.The paint is good under all this crap and don't want to ruin it.I tried lacquer thinner and seems to work but I was told it will soften the paint.Any suggestions on how to get this stuff off.Thanks

You will probably end up hurting the paint if you find something that will soften up all that undercoating! Sorry. Try a heat gun to soften it up and peel it off very carefully.

Thanks Dartman,ill try that.Can you put a new dash pad in without pulling the windshield out.If so what do I have to do.Thanks

I am sure that there are threads here about replacing the dash pad. A quick search should get you the results you are looking for.

You will probably end up hurting the paint if you find something that will soften up all that undercoating! Sorry. Try a heat gun to soften it up and peel it off very carefully.

Yes, heat it up and scrape it off with a plastic paint scraper available at any home improvement store.

Then clean the residual with brake parts cleaner/laquer/kerosene thinner on a rag.

Hello everyone.I pulled the motor out of my Scamp and decided to clean the engine bay up some.There is stuff like yellow glue and rust check all dryed up all over.I tried varsol and it wouldn't touch it.The paint is good under all this crap and don't want to ruin it.I tried lacquer thinner and seems to work but I was told it will soften the paint.Any suggestions on how to get this stuff off.Thanks

Try spraying the undercoating with kerosene or laying kerosene wetted rags on it (if surface is vertical). Let it soak and repeat daily until the undercoating starts to soften (usually in a few days). Then wipe off. This method worked for me with no paint damage. Caution though, do this in a well ventilated area with no opened flame heat sources like a wood stove, gas furnaces, etc.

Russ

a body dash pads are the easiest to remove in my opinion. 7 cap nuts with cluster and glove box liner out. no need to take the windshield out.

Attachments

• fp14.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 273
Try spraying the undercoating with kerosene or laying kerosene wetted rags on it (if surface is vertical). Let it soak and repeat daily until the undercoating starts to soften (usually in a few days). Then wipe off. This method worked for me with no paint damage. Caution though, do this in a well ventilated area with no opened flame heat sources like a wood stove, gas furnaces, etc.

Russ

Not that the old Ziebart "rustproofing" stuff is the same as the factory but when I worked at Ziebart we used kerosene or diesel to remove the overspray. Being that it was still fresh it would come off with 0 effort. If it sat for a while just hit it repeatedly with kerosene soaked rags. Will need to rewax the vehicle if you get it on good paint....Used to keep the back of my sportbikes clean with diesel as well, chain lube is some sticky stuff....

-
Back