Yes: another cam recommendation thread...

-

txstang84

Reaction score
OK, as the subject line suggests...my brother is looking to hopefully freshen up a 340 for his '72 scamp (yes, we have the same type vehicle).

Here's the variables:
'73 340 shortblock
30 over
stock type 2 relief flat top pistons (don't know if forged or cast/hyper)-appear to be raised crown/high compression versions
J heads with 2.02/1.60 valves-not sure of the spring specs
adjustable rockers in the box (Harland sharp IIRC)

Will run an RPM air gap
750 Edelbrock

Stock electronic ignition w/orange box (possible HEI conversion...I think I might have talked him into this)

1 5/8" long tube headers
2.5" Summit dual kit

stock 904: stall-not sure what rpm yet...will go with cam though-suggestions welcome
no higher than 3.55s out back in a 8 3/4" SG
26-28" tire

My brother said he's looking for a cruiser that isn't a chore to drive and capable of uneventful highway manners that can run on pump premium...

I actually suggested a solid cam for him at first since he has the adjustables...either the 270S Comp Magnum or the 274XE Comp looked like winners to me. From what little I've been able to digest about SBs it looks like he'll probably have to have the heads worked on a little to run anything .480" or over...please correct me if this is an incorrect assertion. Otherwise, I believe the heads to be essentially stock.

Ideas?

I'd throw a couple out, but i'm just not getting the feel yet of where he really want's to go......

Cruiser, uneventful highway, 3.55 or less...vs...Solid cam, roller rockers, 750 carb ???

Is he leaning more toward performance or more cruiser? If it's the cruiser side, i'd pick a soft ramp hydraulic so you could keep single springs and avoid the guide work. More perf. oriented, then i'd bite the bullet and go for something aggressive.

If he's looking for sound, even some milder grinds can work around that.

I'll keep checking in and see where this goes. There's never a shortage of opinions on this issue....:D.

Dude,assumption is correct,.480 lift close. Some bowl porting,doesn't raise the lift peak much. Improves airflow,though. 268XE Comp works.As well as the Lunati 402/403 Voodoo,Crower Ultra Street Beast. Howard's as well. Bump,West Coast prime time....

With the gears,converter, cube limits it would be easy to over cam. You cam pm me or just call Tim @ Bullet cams and get a great cam for your combo.

Never a shortage indeed...I sometimes find him difficult to read as well, but I *think* he wants to reign in the revs on the highway with the 3.55s. That being said, not too much cam to where 3.55s would hold it back, but still maintain some attitude-that make sense?

I ran a 270 Magnum in my Mustang several years ago when it was still carbed with Edelbrock heads...it was actually pretty docile by comparison to some folks I know. It did have a nice lope to it, but nothing special...just enough to be fun and still had good vacuum for the brakes.

But, I like the XE and Voodoo grinds-they look very intriguing to me...and I'm sure they'd let a 340 breathe with J heads, and I'm sure a 3 angle with some mild smoothing and shaping in the bowls and maybe back cut on the valves would work wonders for the low lift flow.

Thanks guys

I'll keep it in mind goldmember-thanks! Little late tonite, but I got ya on here ;)

Tax,either of those Comp grinds,will work. My beastie,72 Scamp .3:55 's.looser converter(tight 9.5). 275/60/15 Bfg radial. Bowl worked,1.88/1.60 j castings. Rpm,750 Holley double. Got 22 MPG,car ran 13:2's to 12:9's when I got it. Oops,223/234 ,112 l/c .480/.501 ish lift......

Sounds good to me bomber. That 268XE, and Lunati 268 or split pattern 268/276 look pretty promising...bet it would scoot right along with 3.55s and about a 2500-2800 stall on similarly sized tires to what you mentioned.

Here's an offshoot question-will 275 x-section tires fit the wells without mini tubs, or does it just require some "massaging" of metalwork?

.480 is as tall as I'd go on those pistons. That shouldn't need any reworking.

You'll want a 2300 stall for that app. Any higher and I think you'll just start slipping it on the highway, even if you are within 100-200RPM, you'll build heat and you want to keep from doing that, esp. with the headers. He should consider a trans cooler. You could go looser, but you won't see anything under 3k on those gears at 60 with that tire if you did.

I would choose a cam based off of his idea to use it on the highway. Go backwards and pick a cam that works with a 26" tire, 3.55 gears and 2300 stall.

255's are a tight fit on a 60 aspect. I had a set on a pair of cop car wheels and they did fit on the Hardtop body of the '73 Scamp, fit way easier in the Duster and in the 'Cuda they came out of.

I don't know that a 275 could go without some spring relocaters. I've seen a 265 run on a black and red GTS drop top with some massaging on the 1/4 lip done, but it's super tight. The nicest fit is 255 that I've seen on stock running gear and metal.

Thanks Dave-I'm working on a couple assumptions here-first off that my brother does want to drive it to work on occasion or up and down some windy mountain roads-light corner work.

Trans cooler will happen-guess I should've mentioned that in the first post, but I kinda figured it would be a foregone conclusion since the stock one is good for about that...stock.

I'll let him know about this...

Dave nailed it. Have the 7/8" direct connection offset spring perches. My bad.

-
Back