You guys with aftermarket valve covers

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
What did you do with the carb and air cleaner hoses when you installed the valve covers without those ports? I'd like to dress up my 318 some but I'm no mechanic. Learning as i go.

depending on if you want to go with aluminum or steel, the holes will already be there
you simple plug a breather in on one side, run a hose from it to the air filter base

on the other valve cover you plug a PCV valve in, and attach that to the PCV port on the carb

exactly like it is on the stock set up

like my six your old would say "easy peasy, lemon squezie)

here is a perfect example of a nice cast set with the holes knocked out already
(I would just swap out the breather for one that has the plug for the filter)

you can also see where the openings would/could be punched out on the bottom one

(and a free piece of advice, with this set, I would bolt the top one to the driver side head, will make adding oil a whole lot simpler)

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=340848

What did you do with the carb and air cleaner hoses when you installed the valve covers without those ports? I'd like to dress up my 318 some but I'm no mechanic. Learning as i go.

Have you consider cleaning up what you have? When I got my 73 Charger I took the after market ones off, I thought they looked awful. I found a set of original valve covers off a 74 car, I think I paid like 20 bucks for them. After a good cleaning in the cabinet and a trip to the sandblaster I primed and painted them mopar blue. They look great! Much better than some after market ones. But if you want after market there are many out there. I already sold the ones I had on my car. You should find many options, just make sure they have the knock outs in the areas you need to hook things up. You'll need new grommets most likely. Should be good to go after that.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes of course I can clean them up and paint for a quick visual fix. However I like the Formula S look but not the cost and the Mopar Performance covers look very nice and are much cheaper.

you can always check with Leeanne and see if she may have a set of them laying around she can cut you a deal on

if not, keep and eye on the for sale section

you just missed out on a cruddy set that I'm sure will clean up fine
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=344244&highlight=covers

I bought mine from a fellow member here for 40 bucks (if I remember correctly) and he was local enough he dropped them off on his way from work
and then stopped by a few months later to help me bolt up the 727 to the 360
and then stopped by a few weeks after that to help me fire up the 360 for the first time

there definitely are perks to buying on fabo

-
Back