youth and drivers liscenses??

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
they were discussing on tv yesterday evening how so many of todays youth, basically 16 up thru college age, do not want a drivers liscense. they claim too expensive for a car and insurance. well yes I understand that statement. but..........

back in the dark ages when , when we all reached 16, that was the first thing on our to do list. drive parents car? well yes..... I quite riding a bicycle bout age 14 because it was cooler to just walk!!!!! better yet I rode the horses.

I understand a person off to college that has NO afterschool job maybe, chooses to walk. but h s kids, what the heck!??? has technology cooked their fragile brains!????

nothing it too expensive for a person with a healthy work attitude
and there is your problem

I'm sure if you offered them a free car with free insurance and free gas (a Bernie car, basically) they would be all over it
but if you ask them to work for it, they would rather bum rides off their mom

however, one more thing to consider, what was rolling around the streets when you got your license?
GTXs, Camaros, javelins, vista cruisers and even dusters
what does a kid have to look forward to now?
a civic?
a neon?

maybe I would walk too

its more important to own a cell phone....I rode bicycles then drove cars to reach my friends to hang out, now my step daughter just stays in the house texting on her cell, skyping on the tablet and laptop, talking to 3 or 4 friends at the same time....its a different world....wait till virtual sex comes along

I get a laugh when kids see my duster and ask what the two things on the floor are by the clutch. They are floored when I tell them headlamp switch and washer pump. Their response is always the same. ( why aren't they on the column?) Bottom line is if its not shiny new and convenient kids don't want it

I don't get it. When I was a kid, that was the major milestone to cross, getting your DL. Buddy of mine has an 18 yo son. In college, no license. Takes him to school in the morning, and Mom picks him up in the afternoon. Has him a BMW to drive too.

my daughter with the grandkids lives 4 hours away ( if ya drive fast). the boy judt turned 16, and yes he got his license, but...... he wants to get a summer job this summer ( at the Y doing ref work), which for him would be like playing.

his mother got a job at D Q when she turned sixteen, found and paid for an old K car vert with its second engine, and sold it at end of h s with 400,000 mi on it! lol

I'm 68 have 6 old mopars, 4 running driving cars, the 5 th in garage now getting worked on. I don't feel it does the grandson any GOOD to give him a car. and besides its not on my plate or the daughters to pay for his gas and insurance. they live in small town pop 5000. an old car can break down and still walk home! or would he even want one?????

not gonna offer it and lets face it, when I send money for grandkids graduation and help pay for boys school $400 letter jacket, and get NO thankyou in any form, I have to wonder why I even consider any of this??????LOL

I know i'm old school! ( must be why I still run carbs!????)lol

Yep, it was a big deal getting a DL. A part of growing up. gett'n a DL meant new liberties, and responsibilities that we didn't mind.

Use to be your ride was your pride..... Even if it was a 200 dollar junker

I fought for one of our exchange students to be able to take driver's ed in high school. A kid from Japan. Originally it was deemed unnecessary for him to take driver's ed, since it wouldn't have any bearing for his schooling back home.

I argued - successfully - that part of his schooling was to learn about Americans, hence the reasons for the exchange student program to begin with. Part of that education was learning about what it means to be an American teenage and that included being able to drive.

The administration saw it my way. He had a blast. Damn shame kids now don't understand that.

Yep, mine was a $50 '61 Corvair. Rusted floorboards, slipping clutch, and worn out shocks, but I kept it washed, waxed, and vacuumed. It was mine, and I was proud of it!

Kids no longer NEED a license, as they did decades ago. I began driving tractors at age 10, a grain truck on rural roads at age twelve, and even made a few trips into town with a load of wheat. I started high school at thirteen and we lived twelve miles from town. There were no school buses, so I got my permit at thirteen and my license at fourteen. When you lived on a farm you had to drive at an early age and the government didn't feel an obligation to pamper everyone.

Kids no longer NEED a license, as they did decades ago. I began driving tractors at age 10, a grain truck on rural roads at age twelve, and even made a few trips into town with a load of wheat. I started high school at thirteen and we lived twelve miles from town. There were no school buses, so I got my permit at thirteen and my license at fourteen. When you lived on a farm you had to drive at an early age and the government didn't feel an obligation to pamper everyone.

all so true.... but rural America shrinks everyday. i'm in very low population rural country, but we do have school buses!!!! lol

but you are right, but country kids, I mean real country kids are pretty much a thing of the past.. most left, help on the farm when not busy with school, sports, or social activites. not like it was back in 60's. big demand here for small square bales for horse hay. try to find ANYONE to buck bales! ha..... even the illegals will tell ya " more $$$ plucking chickens!" ya better have one of those $10,000 pieces of mechanical wizzardy to move and stack them, and a big shed to put them in!??

ha! I well remember the time s my old '49 chevy would poop out with me on way to town and h s. and the country cops bitching at my 5 ft tall mom, and her TELLING them off in a big way!!!!!! telling was a mild statement!!! LOL

my first rig was a 66 Fargo /6 3 on the tree. my grandfather gave it to me my biggest regret was selling that truck .

its more important to own a cell phone....I rode bicycles then drove cars to reach my friends to hang out, now my step daughter just stays in the house texting on her cell, skyping on the tablet and laptop, talking to 3 or 4 friends at the same time....its a different world....wait till virtual sex comes along

x2

My prerequisite to driving was having my first years insurance in the bank. My parents taught me how to separate my wants from my needs and handle money. Some of today's kids want to hang onto the "mooch" status as long as they can. That drive has not been instilled. Content to sit at Mom and Dad's.

Grew up with my dad lettin me drive around neighborhood when I was 12. Couldn't wait to get my license.Todays kids have been raised in such a coddled environment it is pitiful. Should start early with kids having to walk to school. Saw a school bus recently leave school and literally stop across the street to drop a kid off. Rediculous.

-
Back