Z Bar Spring Clip

-

scuba0331

Reaction score
I was working on installing the Z-bar and I have a question I was hoping someone could assist me with. The spring clip that goes on the Z-Bar on the Frame Side is screwing me up. There are three possible scenarios for the spring clip installation which will affect the position of the Z-Bar. I’ve tried one and two but not three as I just thought of it!

1. If the spring clip get is installed first then this will limit how far towards left ,towards the driver’s side, that the Z-Bar will move. If install like this the Z-bar down leg will hit the starter and the entire Z-bar is crooked.
2. If the frame ball stud is inserted into the Z-bar then the clip is install it will limit over how far right towards the engine the z- bar will move and down leg will hit the header tube.
3. Is the frame ball stud inserted into the Z-Bar and the Spring clip ends rides in the groove of the bushing? On the factory Z-bar there is a drift pin that will limit how far in the ball stud will go. I would imagine that the spring clip rides in the grove of the bushing but I am not quite sure.

Any help will be appreciated.

The spring clip that wraps around the main tube of the z-bar is intended to lock into the groove in the middle of the pivot bushing on the frame side ball stud. This locks the postion of the z-bar in relation to the frame. The ball stud on the bell housing is allowed to slide in and out with motion of the engine in the motor mounts.

FYI, around 72 the position of the two bolt holes on the sb bell housing for the ball stud bracket moved slightly. If you have issues with the z-bar sitting level and perpendicular to the frame this may be your issue.

There are two different brackets for the two different vintages that is not clearly noted in most references. When I swapped the sb into my 68 cuda I had all sorts of issues with the z-bar not sitting level and sticking under hard acceleration. Wasn't until I talked to Brewers that I learned about the differnt brackets. They sent me the late model on and everything worked perfect.

-
Back