“106 LSA Club” Sound Clips!!

-

12many

Reaction score
Is a cam on a 106 LSA not the next best thing to an.....:eek: Feel free to post up some sound clips of whatever you have, as long as the cam is on a 106 lobe separation angle. If you want to give additional details of the engine by all means do so. IMO there’s nothing better than the chop of a “106” :thumbsup:

Almost?

My 292/509 MP Purple 383 advanced 4 Degrees from 108 is close! This has an Accurate Exhaust repo exhaust system on it! Head pipes to tips.

Last edited:
Where you close it makes a diff too.

That's all installed degree. What most people miss is CR..... Take a stock truck 360 and drop a 110 LCA, 226 @ .050 and it''ll sound like a monster. Up it to 10.5:1 and it'll sound like a HP motorboat.

Is a cam on a 106 LSA not the next best thing to an.....:eek: Feel free to post up some sound clips of whatever you have, as long as the cam is on a 106 lobe separation angle. If you want to give additional details of the engine by all means do so. IMO there’s nothing better than the chop of a “106” :thumbsup:

I love that sound of the carb sucking in that atmosphere too!

Yes Sir I was. Seemed high.
I’ve never been a fan of low idle speeds actually. I set mine (all my old Mopars) to where it just sounds and feels right, not some set number out of a manual or chart under the hood. Seat of pants, Intuition like.

I don’t pay attention to the manuals when aftermarket parts are installed. It can lead to crappy results, no doubt. Rob had my MP circle track 288/.497/106 cam (no video, sorry) around 850 to idle OK. Lower and it was A bit on the erratic side. The OEM Carter AVS is in part to blame as well as the lack of tuning parts to make it right.

IMO there’s nothing better than the chop of a “106”
Sometimes, I take timing out electronically with my dash-mounted delay-box, to idle my 276/286/110 cam right down to 550/500, to hear the lope.Cuz you know, at 1000 it wouldn't have any, lol.
But at 11/1 Scr it sounds sorta like yours but at half-speed, lol.
She only has 61* of overlap, but in at 108, the Ica is 66*; so
Sing it with me;
buh----bup---up----buh----bup---up---bup-bup--
--buh----bup---up----buh----bup---up---bup-bup--
about the only reason it is able to idle so slow is cuz I left the factory heavy flywheel on it, rebalanced of course.

or in your case;
cha-chop-up-cha-chop-up,up-chop-

lol

Nice ear **** !!!

Sometimes, I take timing out electronically with my dash-mounted delay-box, to idle my 276/286/110 cam right down to 550/500, to hear the lope.Cuz you know, at 1000 it wouldn't have any, lol.
But at 11/1 Scr it sounds sorta like yours but at half-speed, lol.
She only has 61* of overlap, but in at 108, the Ica is 66*; so
Sing it with me;
buh----bup---up----buh----bup---up---bup-bup--
about the only reason it is able to idle so slow is cuz I left the factory heavy flywheel on it, rebalanced of course.

or in your case;

lol
Nice orchestra

Thanks; that was a long time in composition. lol

I was parked at a car-show in Minneapolis once, and the guy in the next row ahead of me had this big ol' 60's Chrysler with what sounded like a 440. It was idling, I swear at 400rpm, kicking a wicked slow staccato.
That sound made the all-day trip from Southern Manitoba, so worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks; that was a long time in composition. lol

I was parked at a car-show in Minneapolis once, and the guy in the next row ahead of me had this big ol' 60's Chrysler with what sounded like a 440. It was idling, I swear at 400rpm, kicking a wicked slow staccato.
That sound made the all-day trip from Southern Manitoba, so worth it.
Hopefully mine sounds respectable 321 CI [3.20 stroke ] 12.3 comp
Cam 649/651 296 int./303.exh [106] LS
M-Roller

This is the only 106 I have. Well, the one in the Hemi is too, but it's not running yet.
DSCF1707.JPG

Hopefully mine sounds respectable 321 CI [3.20 stroke ] 12.3 comp
Cam 649/651 296 int./303.exh [106] LS
M-Roller
Idle speed has a lot to do with the sound.
IMO, 12many has it a bit high, his call though.
AJ stated 500/550? Wow that’s low. Again, his call.
Really, as long as it goes into gear without a clunk or a jerk, idles in gear, and your happy with it, your good to go. Cam dependent, my idle’s are around that 700-850 area. I don’t care what the factory settings are. It’s not stock.

Really, as long as it goes into gear without a clunk or a jerk, idles in gear, and your happy with it, your good to go. Cam dependent, my idle’s are around that 700-850 area. I don’t care what the factory settings are. It’s not stock.
Thanks

With my idle in park being 1000, with the previous TA 3500 tight converter the idle drops to maybe 950? in gear, which again where it falls and it being what it is is just intuition. Sitting at a stop it just feels and sounds right to me. I’ve played around with idle speed in park and gear and tried setting it little higher where it then seems a little too high, and I’ve tried it lower and the quality of idle is not as sweet sounding. Like a guitar either in tune or a step sharper or flatter! But a little more rpm theoretically possibly could throw around a little bit more oil to the lobes etc. It is personal preference in the end :thumbsup:

Vixen isn't happy unless she's right around 1000, give or take. She'll idle lower, but she's not crazy about it. I've messed with her every which way but that 1000 mark or 50 or so under is the magic spot. Course bein a slant 6 might make her a little different, too.

-
Back