1966 3 speed manual trans problem. Help!

-
If you take a look at that picture, you will see that the low-gear slides back and forth on the mainshaft, to engage either reverse or first. Notice that the gear is helically cut. That means it will want to jump out of gear by design. The only thing that keeps that from happening is the detent on the shift-lever. Also notice that it takes a pretty long travel to go from neutral to engaged.
You describe a not-long-enough travel into first, so either there's a linkage problem, or the L/R lever is too long. That's my guess.In any case, I'm pretty sure the problem is external.

If you take a look at that picture, you will see that the low-gear slides back and forth on the mainshaft, to engage either reverse or first. Notice that the gear is helically cut. That means it will want to jump out of gear by design. The only thing that keeps that from happening is the detent on the shift-lever. Also notice that it takes a pretty long travel to go from neutral to engaged.
You describe a not-long-enough travel into first, so either there's a linkage problem, or the L/R lever is too long. That's my guess.In any case, I'm pretty sure the problem is external.
Thanks so much AJ/FormS! Sure hope your right about the problem being external! That is my gut feeling too. It does feel like if I could pull the shift lever down a little more it would stay in 1st gear. I have a lot of things to look at and try soon as this weather lets up here in Indiana. Rain, wind and cold now for the last few days! The car is in the garage but I'm waiting so I can pull it outside to do my tests, adjustments or whatever I need to do. I really do appreciate everyone's help with my problem and got some awesome suggestions and illustrations! So far on this car most everything has been an easy fix due to neglect of the previous owner/owners.

-
Back