1966 Formula S barracuda

-

Capt46

Reaction score
Have any members ever seen or read any articles with a 1966 barracuda Formula S 4 speed with factory A/C I have searched till my azzzz went numb. I can't find a single one?

I beleive there was one in Mopar Muscle with a red on red Formula S. Very nice pics of underhood & interior. It may have been over five years ago.

Hot rod magazine had one, but I believe it was 2010

I do believe you have found a rare fish. Not extinct, but rare. Some guys have all of the luck

I figured it would be rare due to reading the builds on formulas, but not like this one is optioned.
I read the 2010 article nice car. Another neighborhood find.
When my daughter was born I had a neighbor who had a 1969 am rebel set, white with blue pearl interior. It has a 290 with air. It was stunning. Same kind of story it was a legend car. Only came out on the 4th of july never restored that was in 1987. I checked with some old neighbors in my ols stomping grounds and asked about it. I was informed the owner since had passed and sold it prior.

It is funny how your mind works, or maybe just mine. In 1965 my neighbor worked for Petty. I was 13 years old. He drove home one day in a new Barracuda Formula S that was gold on gold. That car sounded awesome with the single exhaust and the resonator. I fell in love with his car and said when I grew up I would have one. He drove some really nice cars, Road Runners especially. I still remember riding with him in the Barracuda though. It would really set you back in the seat.
Now at 65 and have had many cars, Mr. White would be proud to see mine finished this year.

Glad you had some wonderful experiences like that, that's what the world is missing today real role models that make an impression forever............takes the troubles away.

Got Google?
Wheeeeew what a fantastic build!
I had begun reading your blog and save a bit of your information. Very impressed, this should have been printed in magazines, I see your on point with the details Homerun, gives me encouragement to go all out as you did. Now I have the time, and some new friends to assist!
Thank you for sharing.
Bill

Ive got a 66 barracuda that came with AC.. but its not a formula s ): and its not 4 speed )): .. but it is pretty and it is mine ;)

20160727_140200_zpszvtkknqx.jpg

20151214_162721_zpsawghacyt.jpg

That's not factory A/C, and it's not Chrysler/Mopar/AirTemp dealer A/C, either -- it's pure aftermarket.

Both of those things are very true!

Really now? Im not sure when the gust-o-matic started, but i was told by a couple individuals that it was an old "knee knocker"
and a dealer installed unit

Really now?

Really now. Whoever installed it, and whenever it was done, that A/C setup did not come from any Chrysler channels. The Chrysler "knee knocker" doesn't look anything like that, doesn't have ducts at the left and right corners of the dashboard, doesn't have round knobs. An underhood pic showing the compressor and lines might give some more clues to when it was installed, but this looks much more like a '90s or later setup than a '60s setup.

Really now. Whoever installed it, and whenever it was done, that A/C setup did not come from any Chrysler channels. The Chrysler "knee knocker" doesn't look anything like that, doesn't have ducts at the left and right corners of the dashboard, doesn't have round knobs. An underhood pic showing the compressor and lines might give some more clues to when it was installed, but this looks much more like a '90s or later setup than a '60s setup.

I wouldnt doubt it one bit, im no expert in dating AC units haha..

Heres a couple photos!

Let me know!

20160725_120258_zpsnd8banpy.jpg

20160725_120312_zpsthwr5brb.jpg

20160725_120338_zps0nmqriwj.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I'm revising my guess downward to the '80s -- that's a York compressor, which was the standard one for 3rd-party aftermarket systems from the '60s clear on up through the '80s. In the late '80s/early '90s the round Sanden/Sankyo/Seltec compressor became the more popular one, and there are adaptor brackets to drop a S/S/S in place of a York. But those de luxe round ducts you've got at the left and right sides of your dash, I'd be real surprised to see something like that on a '60s-'70s system, so I'm guessing yours was put in sometime in the 1980s.

OK, I'm revising my guess downward to the '80s -- that's a York compressor, which was the standard one for 3rd-party aftermarket systems from the '60s clear on up through the '80s. In the late '80s/early '90s the round Sanden/Sankyo/Seltec compressor became the more popular one, and there are adaptor brackets to drop a S/S/S in place of a York. But those de luxe round ducts you've got at the left and right sides of your dash, I'd be real surprised to see something like that on a '60s-'70s system, so I'm guessing yours was put in sometime in the 1980s.

That is awesome to know!

I came across a forum (whether it was here or elsewhere) that mentioned being able to get orginal order broadcast sheets from chrysler. I think its just awesome and important to have and to know. You have to contact Chryslers Historical Center, pay a bit, and show proof of ownership to get a copy or photos of the original broadcast sheet for the car. Im sure it didnt come with AC as you mentioned. But i think its awesome to check out.

In 2009 the price of that service was $45, and their archives stopped hard at '67 ('68-up cars outta luck). Don't know if that service is still offered even for pre-'68 cars; they closed down the WPChrysler Museum and don't seem to care much about historical stuff any more.

In 2009 the price of that service was $45, and their archives stopped hard at '67 ('68-up cars outta luck). Don't know if that service is still offered even for pre-'68 cars; they closed down the WPChrysler Museum and don't seem to care much about historical stuff any more.

At the end of last year they stopped taking requests entirely since about November and in their site they mentioned that they would come back Jan 1st. For about a week after the 1st l couldnt find the easily accessible site. After i emailed them, an individual responded by sending me the official forms to send for the request and that their services are still available. Im hoping mine are still available.

Its a super time consuming request as everything is by mail.

-
Back