1967 Cuda FB project

-
I couldn't find a donor hood to use for my power bulge mod so I bit the bullet and decided to use the one from my car. Had to clean it up a little and found another mouse house between the inner and outer. :protest: First was to trim the power bulge panel smaller to fit the Cuda hood and mark out where I need to cut the top of the hood.
View attachment WP_20150802_011.jpg
Mark the hood for the cut off wheel to go to work.
View attachment WP_20150802_012.jpg
I wanted to leave a little of the factory hood on the front and rear so it would retain some strength from cutting it apart.
View attachment WP_20150802_015.jpg
Was pretty rusty between the panels so I applied some POR-15 on everywhere I could get the brush. I left the center section untouched because I am going to remove some of the center section bracing.
View attachment WP_20150802_016.jpg
After fitting the bulge to the opening with some edge grinding to get the panel to sit flush with the hood panel, I screwed it down in dozen spots to keep it from moving while I spot welded it around the perimeter.
View attachment WP_20150802_018.jpg
I had to cut the back of the bulge about 1/2" shorter than I wanted to. The Cuda hood is shorter than the bulge hood. I used a couple clamps to pull it down in the center of the rear to match the stock hood curvature.
View attachment WP_20150802_020.jpg
Did some welding and grinding working my way around the perimeter of the bulge being careful as to not get it to hot and warp.
View attachment WP_20150802_023.jpg
Still have about an hour of welding and grinding and it'll be ready for primer.
Had to stop for bodily nutrients. :glasses7:
Will weld some more after supper. :blob:
Then I will have to finish the inner bracing off some how. I will figure out something after I turn it over and see exactly what needs to be done.
Debating on if I should make the fake scoops functional or not. That would require cutting the center out of the scoops and making some kind of tube. Welding pot metal aluminum sucks...............

I couldn't find a donor hood to use for my power bulge mod so I bit the bullet and decided to use the one from my car. Had to clean it up a little and found another mouse house between the inner and outer. :protest: First was to trim the power bulge panel smaller to fit the Cuda hood and mark out where I need to cut the top of the hood.
View attachment 1714833762
Mark the hood for the cut off wheel to go to work.
View attachment 1714833763
I wanted to leave a little of the factory hood on the front and rear so it would retain some strength from cutting it apart.
View attachment 1714833764
Was pretty rusty between the panels so I applied some POR-15 on everywhere I could get the brush. I left the center section untouched because I am going to remove some of the center section bracing.
View attachment 1714833765
After fitting the bulge to the opening with some edge grinding to get the panel to sit flush with the hood panel, I screwed it down in dozen spots to keep it from moving while I spot welded it around the perimeter.
View attachment 1714833766
I had to cut the back of the bulge about 1/2" shorter than I wanted to. The Cuda hood is shorter than the bulge hood. I used a couple clamps to pull it down in the center of the rear to match the stock hood curvature.
View attachment 1714833767
Did some welding and grinding working my way around the perimeter of the bulge being careful as to not get it to hot and warp.
View attachment 1714833768
Still have about an hour of welding and grinding and it'll be ready for primer.
Had to stop for bodily nutrients. :glasses7:
Will weld some more after supper. :blob:
Then I will have to finish the inner bracing off some how. I will figure out something after I turn it over and see exactly what needs to be done.
Debating on if I should make the fake scoops functional or not. That would require cutting the center out of the scoops and making some kind of tube. Welding pot metal aluminum sucks...............

DANG!!! You know after going to all the trouble of grafting the bulge on, it will be WAY cooler if those scoops function.

DANG!!! You know after going to all the trouble of grafting the bulge on, it will be WAY cooler if those scoops function.

I know, dammit! Maybe I'll have to put one of those rear intake Kenne Bells on the Hemi........ :glasses7: More work..............:violent1:

Damn! How come we don't have the shifting/burnout in 3 gears, smilie??? WTF?

Did some more welding and grinding this morning before "shop time."
View attachment WP_20150803_007.jpg
View attachment WP_20150803_008.jpg
Put the trunk lid on to see how things looked at ground level. Put the tail lights and taped center panel on decklid to check visual.
View attachment WP_20150803_003.jpg
View attachment WP_20150803_006.jpg
I am thinking paint the "chrome" part of the center panel black and the inside area body color with a black band around the tail lights where the stainless used to be.
Few shots of the car outside.
View attachment WP_20150803_009.jpg
View attachment WP_20150803_010.jpg
View attachment WP_20150803_011.jpg
I think with all the rest of the weight that's not in the car right now will lower it an additional 1' - 1&1/2". That will be just about right. :glasses7:

Snke, Your car is looking incredible. I really like the look of it from the back with the spoiler. Yes on the brightwork, paint in black.

Worked on the hood some more tonight. Finished welding and grinding on the top side.
View attachment WP_20150803_015.jpg
View attachment WP_20150803_013.jpg
Flipped the hood over and studied the bracing on the back. The only way to do this to look somewhat factory, is to rebuild the current bracing. Started cutting in strategic locations and got the center portion to drop down into the bulge.
View attachment WP_20150803_016.jpg
View attachment WP_20150803_017.jpg
View attachment WP_20150803_018.jpg
Had to notch the heavy center brace from the hood latch area to get the bracing to drop down into the bulge. Little more grinding and will look nice.
View attachment WP_20150803_019.jpg
View attachment WP_20150803_020.jpg
One more gratuitous 3/4 shot of the back of the Cuda. Damn, the old Mopars were badass in their day. :prayer:

Attachments

• WP_20150803_012.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 378
'bout time you got to workin' on her. It's definitely starting to take shape. I'm still curious about your front end restyle. Has the plan changed for the front bumper?

'bout time you got to workin' on her. It's definitely starting to take shape. I'm still curious about your front end restyle. Has the plan changed for the front bumper?

No. I just have to get to that point in the project. Debating on what to do with the back bumper area also. Still trying to find a wrecked hemi truck for all the parts I need.

Went to work on the hood scoop inserts. I like the idea of making them functional. So, out came the cutting tools. Came up with this opening. Needed to leave some material for the ss screen to bond to. After blasting and final hole size.
View attachment WP_20150808_005.jpg
Cut out scoop next to the original.
View attachment WP_20150808_003.jpg
The piece of ss screen I had from another project. Sometimes it helps to be a pack rat. :D
View attachment WP_20150808_004.jpg
Pic of scoop in hood opening.

I think the hood bulge will be blacked out. Maybe paint the screens bright red?:glasses7:

Attachments

• WP_20150808_007.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 356
Decided today to get the oil pan done. It was from an "07 Durango so it was a deep truck pan. When I built the engine mounts and positioned the engine as low as I could, realized the oil pan was a "little" low. lol Took some measurements and got the cutting tools again.
View attachment WP_20150808_008.jpg
View attachment WP_20150809_001.jpg
View attachment WP_20150809_002.jpg
Cut a piece of flat sheet metal and gave it some bends to fit the section I cut out. All the while I was working on this pan, I thought the "sound " of it was off. Didn't sound like a normal tin pan. One of the final cuts told me why, it's a stamped 2 piece, one inside the other! So, welding it sucked. Wanted to burn through no matter how low I had the welder set. That's why my tig welds look like $#!+.:protest:
View attachment WP_20150809_003.jpg
View attachment WP_20150809_004.jpg
Weld in a sump for the drain plug after I am done with the rest of the pan welding.
:D

So far I'd say that you've been successful with the rear spoiler mod, the scoops seem like they'll look good, and the driveline/suspension ought to make the car have the handling & power. The fresh air system should be more icing on the cake. I'm still hoping you'll be able to pull off the bumper treatments without screwing the pooch. But, it's come a long way and you don't seem to have gone wrong yet. - Lookin' good.

Cut a piece of flat sheet metal and gave it some bends to fit the section I cut out. All the while I was working on this pan, I thought the "sound " of it was off. Didn't sound like a normal tin pan. One of the final cuts told me why, it's a stamped 2 piece, one inside the other! So, welding it sucked. Wanted to burn through no matter how low I had the welder set. That's why my tig welds look like $#!+.

Yeah, the factory pans are double layer to keep the noise down. It's a clever way to do it, but certainly makes it harder to modify. I had a monster cast aluminum one that came with my engine, but took the lazy approach and just bought a center sump swap pan as I don't have the fab skills.

That's one SICK Vipe!!! angry9: :compress:
Can you drive it on the street with that front spoiler?
Looks like one steep Supermarket Driveway entry and WHAMMMMO.

Really nice to see that 225 exiting your Cuda. This is gonna be one Trick Fish. I hope you keep the White. Something about White Cudas with Rallyes. Magical.

Did I redo your Grilles & HL Bezels, you sound familiar?

That's one SICK Vipe!!! angry9: :compress:
Can you drive it on the street with that front spoiler?
Looks like one steep Supermarket Driveway entry and WHAMMMMO.

Really nice to see that 225 exiting your Cuda. This is gonna be one Trick Fish. I hope you keep the White. Something about White Cudas with Rallyes. Magical.

Did I redo your Grilles & HL Bezels, you sound familiar?

I have bounced that splitter off of parking lot curbs about 3 mph. No issues. Oh, and it cuts small animals in half............:twisted:

Got all the front end parts together to install and design a front bumper/fascia. I will put together after work and see what ideas I can incorporate. I have a really good idea what I want, it's just if I can pull it off or not. lol:glasses7:

Got all the front end parts together to install and design a front bumper/fascia. I will put together after work and see what ideas I can incorporate. I have a really good idea what I want, it's just if I can pull it off or not. lol:glasses7:
:happy1::happy1::happy1:

Studying the front of the Cuda and I came up with a plan. Going to make a bumper out of high density foam. I will make brackets that mount the same as the original bumper brackets. Put a piece of chrome moly between them so I have some sort of crash protection. Build a cardboard box and mix the foam up and then shape. I am going to cut the fenders along the tape line. That will be the top of the new bumper. I will weld flanges in that area so I can remove the new bumper in one piece with no seams. That tape line will also be the top of the new bumper as it blends in to the sides. There will be fog lights in the lower section and I will have to design or buy some kind of grille for the bottom opening. It will also have a small splitter on the bottom to go with the rear spoiler.
View attachment WP_20150819_004.jpg

View attachment WP_20150819_005.jpg

View attachment WP_20150819_006.jpg

Need to do some bodywork before the foam work. You can see that there is a dent on the bottom of the fender.
I want to be able to take the bumper off in one piece like new cars do. :D

It will be easier to understand when I get further into this mod.

-
Back