1967 Cuda FB project

-
This is as far as I got this afternoon after helping put a tranny in a '05 Magnum. Literally took me about a half hour to shape it this far. Going to round the edges a lot more. Maybe round the "bumper" area a little more like the original shaped bumper. Less blocky. The bottom needs to be more rounded under also. I thought about a splitter on front but I don't think it would look right. I won't round the bottom under until I decide not to do a splitter. Maybe I'll mock up a cardboard one to see what it actually would look like.
View attachment WP_20150912_007.jpg
This lower opening will have the ends of the hole half moon shaped like the original hole in the valence. Just didn't get that far in shaping.
View attachment WP_20150912_012.jpg
View attachment WP_20150912_015.jpg
View attachment WP_20150912_017.jpg
The fog light holes will have to be sanded out about another 1/2" in diameter. I have some fogs off a wrecked Viper that will go nicely there.
View attachment WP_20150912_021.jpg
View attachment WP_20150912_023.jpg
View attachment WP_20150912_019.jpg
More shaping tomorrow, maybe even tonight if I get motivated after supper!!!:blob:

So far, I am glad I went this route. Will look a lot cleaner than the factory bumper.

Hmmm... I'm still thinking it's not quite right. Maybe it's just the camera angle but it looks a bit big to me (out of proportion). I think the distance out the front looks good but it appears as though the portion of the sides below the 'bumper' don't match the contour of the lower fenders. - Like I said, it may just be the camera angle. I think the general shape turned out decent. The center opening and holes for the driving lights look right. I agree with you about possibly needing to round the bottoms more but I wonder if the ends shouldn't have an increase rounding to them too (less squared off).

It's looking good but I'm still holding my breath to see if you'll hit TOTALLY AWESOME.

I agree with you about possibly needing to round the bottoms more but I wonder if the ends shouldn't have an increase rounding to them too (less squared off).

It's looking good but I'm still holding my breath to see if you'll hit TOTALLY AWESOME.

This is what I was talking about rounding off more. The sides are too blocky yet. It is actually 2" lower than the factory valence which exaggerates the blockyness I think. I made it that way in case I went with the splitter. It would help with mounting the splitter.
I will mock up a splitter tomorrow to see what happens. If I don't like it, I will shorten up the distance from top to bottom and make it "rounder". I think a shorter distance to the bottom of the valence will flow better. :glasses7:
Also thinking about rounding the top and bottom edges of the new "bumper" a little closer to the factory bumper shape.

Admit it John, you're gettin' jealous. :finga:

It may be a struggle between aesthetics and function. Naysayers of the winged cars couldn't dispute the proven performance at the track.

It may be a struggle between aesthetics and function. Naysayers of the winged cars couldn't dispute the proven performance at the track.

Agree. But after tomorrows visual with the splitter, I think I will decide against it. The car will be lowered, but not in the weeds. So the splitter wouldn't function as well as it should anyway. Besides, I think this car will just be a street car, maybe get it to a road course if I'm lucky. If it was a dedicated track car, I don't care how ugly the splitter would be, it would be on there. lol:burnout:

Well, spent another 45 minutes or so shaping some more. After ditching the splitter idea, I am really starting to like the shape it's taking. It's flowing more with the car itself. It's really had to see the same thing I see in pictures. It looks really good in person and the voids-colors in the foam make it look off in the pics. Hard to see the lines and curves in the pics. Now I have to make the other side identical to the pass side to get the full effect. The gauge tools will come in handy for that!
View attachment WP_20150913_014.jpg

View attachment WP_20150913_018.jpg

View attachment WP_20150913_021.jpg

View attachment WP_20150913_020.jpg

View attachment WP_20150913_017.jpg

View attachment WP_20150913_010.jpg

It's always difficult to tell from photos exactly what something really looks like. - But the panel still looks wide to me.

View attachment 1714843142

I see that also, but I wanted to make sure the bumper stuck out further than the fender. I will wait until I get the other side the same before I take any more material off. Building molds sucks. :protest:

I am kinda liking it a little even though I didn't think I would.
The part that I don't like is the factory slender arrow or pointed bumper profile is now missing. I think it is needed or should be incorperated somehow to keep the barracuda flavor?
It seems replaced by a square middle 80s Monza look that just rubs me wrong somehow.
Just what I see looking at the photos?
Looks like it is a fun project. Can't wait to see this one play out.

I am kinda liking it a little even though I didn't think I would.
The part that I don't like is the factory slender arrow or pointed bumper profile is now missing. I think it is needed or should be incorperated somehow to keep the barracuda flavor?
It seems replaced by a square middle 80s Monza look that just rubs me wrong somehow.
Just what I see looking at the photos?
Looks like it is a fun project. Can't wait to see this one play out.

Hmmm... - Good point. A slimmer, less squared bumper protrusion would simulate the factory closer. I think it still works but you'd need to duplicate this look on the rear then.

I didn't think the corner could be pulled off but but It looks like it transitions well around to the side.
I am a stuck in the 60s and 70s kind of Mopar guy but I really like watching you do your thing with this fastback.

Hmmm... - Good point. A slimmer, less squared bumper protrusion would simulate the factory closer. I think it still works but you'd need to duplicate this look on the rear then.

That is what I am trying to get to, a slimmer bumper. Just didn't want to take too much off before I got the dr side matched up. If you look close, you can see I am shaping that way on the right upper corner. The whole top is shaped that way, you just can't see it well in the pics. I want to take more off the bottom side to match. :D
View attachment WP_20150913_022.jpg

I'm DEFINITELY liking that last pic. It's got a nasty look to it now. I think you'll have people scratchin' their heads trying to figure out what you did when you're done. - Lookin' more & more like it could've come from the factory like that. I bow down to you sir, I think you've hit AWESOME. :prayer:

I get the vision of a drip of shiny melted green plastic in the shape of a barracuda.

...but now you've got to match that design on the rear...

That'll be a feat. I have been looking at that since I started this project. Still going 'round and 'round on that. I guess I'll just hang something on there and see what happens. :D

Shelby's plastic front on a 60s ford. Just some inspiration while your in your Michaelangelo sculpting mode.

Attachments

• 1965-Shelby-GT350SR-1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 265
Will you be shaving an 1/8th off all around before you add the epoxy to maintain the current shape?

Will you be shaving an 1/8th off all around before you add the epoxy to maintain the current shape?

Yup. Have to allow for build up of fiberglass "covering". So, it will be a "trial fit" process while covering it. Still have some shaping to finalize.
Also, I use clear bra material in the painted areas that actually touch each other so it doesn't chip from bolt tightening and/or vibration.

i like that bumper, but only if your planning to having it low to the ground and having that "tracker" look...

definitely a plus that you cut down the sides.

VERY nice!

i like that bumper, but only if your planning to having it low to the ground and having that "tracker" look...

definitely a plus that you cut down the sides.

VERY nice!

Yup, will sit a little lower. Should look good. Just need wheels now, dammit!!:protest:

-
Back