1967 Cuda FB project

-
Only under construction photo I could find of the Poteet chopped salt racer named blowfish.
Looks like the entire roof was folded or pushed down in one piece
after lower sail panels and lower pillars were cut.
Possibly hinged between deck lid and rear glass.
Thought it looked easier than quartering roof?
Less glass problems?

Attachments

• 113_0702_04_z+1969_barracuda+sail_panels.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 274
The top has to be quartered or the side glass has to be tilted way in. I don't really care for that look. I have seen a couple cars done like that and the top starts to look too narrow.
I have another roof. I am visualizing sliding the roof to the rear as it goes down. It might make the rear glass a little shorter, fr to back, but the roof line should still flow with the correct curve to it. That way I shouldn't have to pie-cut the sail panels.
The plan is to go out after supper and hack away!!!! lol:glasses7:

Do you have plans of cutting the tempered safety rear glass?
I don't know that it can't be done some how but I have never been successful
at it myself. Gave up after several attempts of getting close.
It always exploded on me into diamonds before I could get a piece completely in two.
Windshields not as big of a problem as they are laminated safety glass.
Done many of them successfully.

Do you have plans of cutting the tempered safety rear glass?
I don't know that it can't be done some how but I have never been successful
at it myself. Gave up after several attempts of getting close.
It always exploded on me into diamonds before I could get a piece completely in two.
Windshields not as big of a problem as they are laminated safety glass.
Done many of them successfully.

Crap............ I thought the back was laminated too...... :violent1:

I must say I am very impressed with the work and ambition, I had considered wedging the roofline toward the front but it never materialized.....I like the front bumper treatment also, I think I said that when you started but now that you have it molded it really gives the car a modern look. Keep up the inventive work.

I must say I am very impressed with the work and ambition, I had considered wedging the roofline toward the front but it never materialized.....I like the front bumper treatment also, I think I said that when you started but now that you have it molded it really gives the car a modern look. Keep up the inventive work.

Thanks for the kind words!! Appreciated a lot! :prayer:

It has been an absolute joy reading your progress on your 67. Most everything you have done has been has been awsome. Your style and vision for the fish will be fantastic. Thank you. Here is a pic of my 67 fish. I'm sure I will like yours as much asi like mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 225
Another problem you may encounter due to sectioning the roof is the bows
being to short when it comes to installing a headliner.
Not trying to rain on your parade here.
I have done glass and upholstery work for many years
and so many times I have seen body shops create expensive problems
for guys like myself to overcome when their chop job was done.
Plan ahead now beyond the paint as for how all the glass and upholstery will go in.
Keeping these areas simple will allow you to do the work yourself and save
yourself alot of money.

It has been an absolute joy reading your progress on your 67. Most everything you have done has been has been awsome. Your style and vision for the fish will be fantastic. Thank you. Here is a pic of my 67 fish. I'm sure I will like yours as much asi like mine.

That is a really nice BLACK Cuda!!!!!!! I love black, just don't like keeping them clean...:D

Another problem you may encounter due to sectioning the roof is the bows
being to short when it comes to installing a headliner.
Not trying to rain on your parade here.
I have done glass and upholstery work for many years
and so many times I have seen body shops create expensive problems
for guys like myself to overcome when their chop job was done.
Plan ahead now beyond the paint as for how all the glass and upholstery will go in.
Keeping these areas simple will allow you to do the work yourself and save
yourself a lot of money.

Yup, it opens up a whole sidecar full of worms. :D Been down this road before so I know what's ahead. The headliner will be made from a piece of hardboard with fabric of some kind glued to it. The side windows should be a non issue as they will only sit 2 inches lower when closed. All the trim items except for the a pillars are metal so they can be modified. It shouldn't be too bad to finish off the inside.
Thanks for the input!!! :glasses7:

Went out tonight and CUT UP MY CAR!!!!!! #-o
Started at the front and cut across the top at point where the roof was fairly level front to back. I cut exactly 2" out of the a pillars. Flipped the front piece over I cut of and saw that I could remove the inner structural panel and just widen the two halves of off of that. So out came the spot weld cutter again and started drilling.
View attachment WP_20150917_009.jpg

View attachment WP_20150917_010.jpg

View attachment WP_20150917_011.jpg

View attachment WP_20150917_012.jpg

View attachment WP_20150917_014.jpg

View attachment WP_20150917_015.jpg

View attachment WP_20150917_016.jpg
Got the inner piece off and cut the roof section in half. No turning back now. lol

Took some c clamps and centered the inner piece to the roof sections I cut in half. We took it on and off about 3 times to get the right distance apart. I'm glad I got that parts car cuz all my steel trim pieces are gonna need to be lengthened.
View attachment WP_20150917_017.jpg

View attachment WP_20150917_018.jpg
Here you can see how much forward and lower the front section moved with just 2" removed from the a pillar.
View attachment WP_20150917_019.jpg

View attachment WP_20150917_020.jpg

View attachment WP_20150917_022.jpg
Window height looks a lot more balanced with the rest of the car.
View attachment WP_20150917_024.jpg

View attachment WP_20150917_021.jpg
Some tack welding in the morning and them more hacking.

Nice inital cuts.. Curiosity in effect here. Unlike other people, I have cut /shaved /modified sheet metal, to what I wanted. Nice layout.

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!

I just checked my computer and what do I see? You've already chopped the car to pieces! I thought you'd struggle with the decision on the chop for at least another week.

I know you've taken several risks on the build so far but you've obviously got bigger stones than I could have imagined. This is getting REAL.

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!

I just checked my computer and what do I see? You've already chopped the car to pieces! I thought you'd struggle with the decision on the chop for at least another week.

I know you've taken several risks on the build so far but you've obviously got bigger stones than I could have imagined. This is getting REAL.

Just wanted you to see that I am serious about getting the RR. Always serious. :glasses7:

No offense SNKEBIT, but I'd had some serious doubts about some of the mods you had planned. I guess I thought things might turn out OK but I'd figured that most of the touches would seem a little 'out of place'.

I consider the early fastbacks to be a classic design that's somewhat iconic. Despite your modifications I think the car's still staying pretty true to the flavor the original designers had given it.

My opinion is that anyone can customize a car by adding wings, spoilers, chopping, sectioning, frenching, etc... Back in the 50's & 60's famous builders like Barris modified a lot of cars and although they did a lot of cool work, many of their creations were just weird. The best jobs are the ones that don't just show off a guy's fabrication skills. - They also show the guy's talent for DESIGN. So far I think you're batting a 1000 on the 'Cuda but one mistake before you're done could change all that. I'm rooting for ya but I'll lose faith if I hear you're planning on a HELLO KITTY paint scheme.

One little mistake and you'd throw me under the bus???? WWAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

I thought we were buddies.:finga:

:D

-
Back