1968 Barracuda Notch - Plano, TX

-
well i went to college for two years and was offered an Intership at Austin Speed shop restoring hot rods and customs 1964 and older American ONLY! then 3months later they hired me so ive been learning fabrication and such. ive been building some really cool stuff lately... ill have to send you some pictures!

also after august on the weekends i will be driving to dallas to learn upholstery for the interior guy that works with us he is moving up north and has a shop right near the speedway

Received my grille trim and turn signal bezels from PG classic this past Thursday. A few weeks earlier I finished the painstaking process of masking and painting my plastic grille pieces. Over 500 pieces of cut strips of ¼” wide tape. Yikes!!! I assembled my grille, assembled my header panel, reinstalled the header panel.

Also modified my headlight mount on my "new" drivers side fender to clear the Cibie headlight, mounted the headlight and installed the headlight bezels on both sides.

Third - repaired my tail light housings with metal epoxy and installed my tail lights. The housings are Layson's reproductions I purchased a few years back. When I finally installed them they seperated. Dave thinks I overtightened them. I used a 1/4" ratchet that fits in the palm of my hand. Back when I used to be an auto mechanic I would remove oil filters that were stuck that the other guys in the shop could not remove with strap wrenches with my bare hand. During ergonomic testing about 10 years ago on my job my grip was tested at 160lbs squeeze with either hand. Most people working there tested about half that with the dominant hand being a little stronger. Anything is possible I guess, but my assertion is that the original design is one piece, and the two piece design that someone did for Layson's has inherent issues. Maybe Dave will arm wrestle me over it? Either way - fixed now, and I installed them with a nut driver this time...

A few weekends ago I modified the driver side headlight bucket to accept the Cibie city light. Aligned and tightened the front bumper. Replaced the drivers side rear view mirror. Repaired the tail light housings.

What to do next?

A lot has happened in the last few months, unfortunately not so much on the car.

I took my eight year old boy to the Mopar Nats. We met up with Jeff our old neighbor from Round Rock at the airport in Columbus.

Got to meet a few of the 67-69 Barracuda guys. There were a lot of A-bodies there! I have a few hundred pictures. Jeff and I bought windshield gaskets and I picked up a rear window gasket. Jeff also found some parts for his Valiant and his 1939 Dodge. Jeff spent most of Saturday at the swap, my eight year old spent most of the day watching the drag racing. Saturday night in Heath was awesome.

The past week I have been focused back on the Barracuda.

I fixed some issues with the wiring, pre-lubed the engine with a drill and a hex shaft. Cranked the motor - forgot, I have no gas in the car. Decided not to mess with it and move on for now. I am sick and tired of patching the wiring crap the PO left me. When I was fixing the wiring I found about six places where he had done something that could have caused a fire. The last piece I fixed was where he had broken the side of the connector housing for the ignition switch and tied a male spade connector to the ignition 1 terminal with a piece of wire twisted around the terminal and spade connector. Really?

I finally decided which way to go with the dash, wiring, etc. I have a good clean dash frame in the garage. It came with a good cluster, a decent bezel and a good uncut harness. I think I bought it from Daty before I moved to Dallas. I ordered a new bezel and a new glovebox trim. I found a good heater control assembly and a rebuilt stock AM radio. The cluster has been sent out to Redline Guage Works. The cluster will be functional, modern, and work with my aftermarket stuff. And, to the non-Moparites out there it will appear pretty much stock. The other pieces to the puzzle include a Classic Auto Air system that works with the stock heater controls / face and a hidden audio system. I want to make a bracket and sheet metal piece in the trunk and mount a painless "trunk mount" harness fuse panel about 6-8" directly in front of the driver's side tail light. If I build panels on the left and right flush with the trunk opening to make hidden compartments what would be the best material to use that is not too heavy?

I removed the old plastic 16 gallon RCI fuel cell and cleaned up the trunk some. I trimmed the opening in the floor where the fuel cell used to drop through the floor to fit my new stainless tank. I am now working on the sheetmetal piece that fits the rear of the opening and fills the gap at the back created by the spare tire opening. Next will be to cut the tail pipes, fit the fuel tank in place, then screw the subframe connectors in place so I can figure out the fuel line routing. I will then pull the tank back out so I can do some finish work in the trunk, mount the fuel filter, run the fuel line. Then I will pull the interior out so I can do the welding and the wiring.

I have been getting a lot of help lately from the newest crew member. Every time I open the door to the garage he pushes his way into the garage, stands next to the car, and insists I open the hood so he can see the engine. Here he is today inspecting the progress in the trunk. Probably wants to know when I am going to finish his car.

Attachments

• IMG_5134s.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,704
That's what Willz says... "When are you going to finish that car, Dad? We should really put it together this weekend after soccer."

Keep up the peer pressure, Michael...

Clair

i like the rearend setup!! who sells that stuff/where did you buy it from!! gotta do that to mine!

i like the rearend setup!! who sells that stuff/where did you buy it from!! gotta do that to mine!

Which part?

Differential and rear brakes by Dr Diff. This set up will go on sale if/when I have Dr Diff build me a Dana 60. www.doctordiff.com

Rear springs and Caltrac bars were purchased from FBO. www.4secondsflat.com

Rear relocation was done with an old Mopar Performance kit. This puts the front spring hangers in the frame rail. There are a few choices out there now.
http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/springs.shtml

Attachments

• 244_4445_RJs.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,509
  • 244_4447_s.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,481
  • 244_4448_s.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,500
  • 244_4452_RJs.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,534
  • 246_4602_RJs.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,509
Cool car. Keep in mind any paint supplier can mix up some GG1 for you no problem. My car is painted GG1. I stuck with green because I have green interior plus I like green.

Great work and love the new stance. My 69 cuda is orig f8 and wasnt too happy about going back to orig color, but oh well. I was up at National Moparts where my car is getting some work done(great guys btw), and there was a 70 GTX which is done in GG1...Nigel says it is real close to F8...I love green now..here are some pics of the GTX

Attachments

• DSCF4970 (Medium).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,453
  • DSCF4974 (Medium).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,450
  • DSCF4967 (Medium).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,456
Mike, my car should be out of the paint shop around the middle of October. As soon as it is done, I will let you know. I am moving it just outside of Wylie when I get it back. You can come check it out.

Here are some pictures from the engine build - in 2001...

Attachments

• Valves-s.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,427
  • Short Block-s.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Engine on stand-s.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,419
  • Connecting Rod-s.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,405
  • Bottom End-s.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,471
I finished trimming the sheet metal and fitted the fuel tank in place today.

5" from the tank to the frame rail on each side. Just the right profile that you can not see it from the rear or the side. The fuel neck lines up with the factory fill tube. I need to shorten the tube tomorrow. I need to find someone who can roll a hose bead on the fill tube.

Attachments

• IMG_5240s.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,410
  • IMG_5242s.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,441
  • IMG_5246s.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,413
  • IMG_5250s.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,453
-
Back