1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
All I know is its near impossible to find a shop to do high quality work like that for any price. And to turn it around in that time frame very unusual. Unfortunately most cars go to shops don't get done or don't get done right and have to be pulled out and sent somewhere else. Great to see that didn't happen here.

All I know is its near impossible to find a shop to do high quality work like that for any price. And to turn it around in that time frame very unusual. Unfortunately most cars go to shops don't get done or don't get done right and have to be pulled out and sent somewhere else. Great to see that didn't happen here.
Yes Sir.................We were talking and I mentioned the lack of shops as well as the lack of knowledge for stuff like this in our area.

Wow, that is spendy..........................:eek:
Yeah, the currency exchange is an absolute killer here, whether on parts, or new vehicle purchases, it's just insane. It ain't hard to drop $100k on a new 1/2 ton truck, don't matter what brand. I honestly don't know how people who are just starting out can manage, but I still see big houses with a newer pickup and an suv in the driveway, plus a camper or a big boat. **** I think I make a decent living, but I have only a modest mortgage payment and I still can't afford to spend much. My daily driver is a 1997 that I picked up last summer for $500.00 as a fixer upper, and my wife's car is a 2002.

Last edited:
Yeah, the currency exchange is an absolute killer here, whether on parts, or new vehicle purchases, it's just insane. It ain't hard to drop $100k on a new 1/2 ton truck, don't matter what brand. I honestly don't know how people who are just starting out can manage, but I still see big houses with a newer pickup and an sun in the driveway, plus a camper or a big boat. **** I think I make a decent living, but I have only a modest mortgage paent and I still can't afford to spend much. My daily driver is a 1997 that I picked up last summer for $500.00 as a fixer upper, and my wife's car is a 2002.
practical and common sense, living within your means or the other example is "I owe, I owe, so off to work I go..."

Another 10days or so will feel much longer than the year it took to do it all. Crazy fast turn around. Can't wait to see it in person the end of next month!

Hate to have to be the one to break it to you, but your journey has only begun. Oh, you can check out anytime you like....but now, you can never leave.

Last edited:
Hate to have to be the one to break it to you, but your journey has only begun. You can check out anytime you like....but you can never leave.
1679862532653.gif

Thank you Denny for all of your help!!

tsueh.jpg

Thanks, that's what you think a build like this would cost in your area?
You saved a ton of money by leaving the body as is. My A12 has been in the shop being un-cut-up for racing and it's taking forever but is finally about ready for the bodywork to begin. Like you, I refuse to total up how much money I've got in it so far. That doesn't help anyone's attitude :D

You saved a ton of money by leaving the body as is. My A12 has been in the shop being un-cut-up for racing and it's taking forever but is finally about ready for the bodywork to begin. Like you, I refuse to total up how much money I've got in it so far. That doesn't help anyone's attitude :D
Thanks Bob!:thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing your car..............

I'd guess no less than 35k, probably closer to 45.

Edit: labor ranges from $120-170 an hour around me, depending on shop.

The hemi is what's throwing me off, I know what they cost to buy, but no idea on a rebuild, I assume it's considerably more than a 440.

Either way, awesome build and story, I've been following it from the beginning. Your mother in law(?) still doesn't know right?
Thanks. One big issue are shops around to do this kind of work, they don't exist. Hemi in an A-body is the big difference as well. If we had thrown a 340 back in there nowhere near the amount of custom fabrication and modifications to get everything to work properly. The Hemi parts are expensive, lucky we were able to find what we needed for the rebuild.

Yes my MIL still has no clue............... :thumbsup:

I'm guessing .....55K
25K in labor
20K in parts
5K machine work
5K misc / hotels / fuel / travel

your time....priceless

My build has had me researching and reading many other build threads, some have taken YEARS to complete. Since we have members here from around the country and other parts of the world, I thought it would be fun to hear your thoughts on the cost of a Restoration/Preservation like this. What do you think it would cost to bring it to a professional shop to complete?? Another question and I think I know the answer, would everything be completed so quickly................:thumbsup:

Here is a rough estimate of what it took to complete the project:

1-remove engine, transmission, steering column, and entire front suspension, reassemble suspension to make car "roller"

2-disassemble engine and inspect

3-rebuild engine complete, including machining cylinder heads for missing bolt holes and rocker stand interference

4-modify new carburetors for cross-ram, throttle shafts, bowls, jetting, and air bleed modifications

5-hand fabricate fuel lines like original Hemi style

6-make 2 trips to the dyno facility to set up, and breakdown the engine

7-replace torched-out transmission cross member, with new AMD donor.

8-replace torched factory transmission hump with new AMD part

9-fabricate and install floor reinforcement plates for bucket seats.

10-remove and install seat brackets previously installed upside down, and redrill proper bolt holes

11-clean blast and paint K member, weld reinforcements on lower control arm pivot

12-rebuild front suspension, replace bent LH upper control arm

13-fabricate and install all new brake headlines

14-install line lock and setup for flex hoses to master cylinder

Modify the "E" body radiator to fit, including adapter plates for the fan shroud

15-modify "440" alternator brackets to fit HEMI water pump housing

16-rewire engine bay, convert to 70 up dual field alternator

17-wire up trunk-mounted battery wiring

18-cut-out ladder bars welded solid to axle housing and bolted solid to chassis

19-run new fuel line

20-install MSD ignition system

21-recurve Mopar distributor

22-remove and install the engine 4 times to modify various areas for clearance

23-shorten one shift rod to the correct length

24-fabricate exhaust system to rear axle

25-replace rear axle yoke

26-remove and disassemble the steering column, shorten the tube, reweld, and paint. Reinstall column

27-Modify RBRE valve covers for clearance to rocker stands

28-modify Z bar transmission bracket to raise the Z bar

29-modify chassis side Z bar plate to line up Z bar

Let's hear your thoughts........................
What you have done is nothing short of amazing and it has been a blast watching all along.

I also just went through all of that and more on my build. With the exception of building the engine and trans, I've done all of the work myself. It took me 9 months from start to finish (completely stripped, gutted and put back together re-using only the body) to get it running and driving. 1 month later, I was in Vegas making passes. Only reason I was able to do this is because my kids are grown and I don't have a life.... lol

I can't wait to see your car finished! You have one badass car that needs to be driven and it sounds like that is your plan which makes me happy.

Bill

What you have done is nothing short of amazing and it has been a blast watching all along.

I also just went through all of that and more on my build. With the exception of building the engine and trans, I've done all of the work myself. It took me 9 months from start to finish (completely stripped, gutted and put back together re-using only the body) to get it running and driving. 1 month later, I was in Vegas making passes. Only reason I was able to do this is because my kids are grown and I don't have a life.... lol

I can't wait to see your car finished! You have one badass car that needs to be driven and it sounds like that is your plan which makes me happy.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. Sean has done an amazing job getting it done and done right.......................... :thumbsup: I am excited to get behind the wheel for the first time.

-
Back