1972 Demon Build

-
Hit the Demon again this weekend. Started out by going after the rear tail light lenses. On chipped fin. I will have to look and see if I can repair later...they cleaned up good for now.

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

Next is some tedious stuff in tearing apart the column. The dash, the cluster, cleaning and checking wires. Put the power steering pump and gear box in the parts washer for a good cooking, then blast and paint.

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0179.JPG

DSC_0180.JPG

DSC_0181.JPG

Tape tape and more tape. Still needs another coat, then remove one section of tape and shoot the final color red to match the side stripe

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0165.JPG

Last edited:
Looking real good. Can't wait to see what you do with the cluster..
Right now it needs cleaned...bad. No cracks, a good sanding and then I can decide. Interior will be all white with red carpet and trim. I could get away with some silver or red in there on the cluster.

Ok. Completely disassembled the column, blasted and primed. Ordered the coupled rebuild and new seals. New dash vents, window seals, window trim clips, and a whole pile of other new parts. Steering wheel is cracked and worn so I am hunting down a replacement. My son is going after the firewall paint prep this weekend along with underside prep for undercoat. It will then be a very quick reassembly.

Had my son do some work on the car today. Pulled rest of heater core and insulation out. Have replacement insulation to install. Son did some wire wheel work and painted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

He did some more work on dash corners. Column was completely torn down, blasted and primed. Needs sanded and will be white.

image.jpg

He also learned to use the steam parts washer. Cleaned the manual gear box, power gear box, and power steering pump. I guess they will be silver....lol. Blasted and painted

image.jpg

image.jpg

Spent some time wire wheeling and sanding front and cowl some more to prep for paint. Parts table laid out. Have so much more to blast. One bag of bolts at a time!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Did I read right?.....you are joining us at the Nats? Or was that just a tease?

I know the feeling..........NEVER ever enough parts tables.

Denny, I am headed to the sandbox for an extended vacation. 2016 is out. Keeping 2017 as a goal. The 72 Swinger will be done for sure. Got the axles back yesterday. Rear is still out for inspection. Then back on the road. I may not have the repaint done, but as is, paint chips and all. The 74 Swinger would be ready, but not for the tent, lol. The goal is that this car makes it as well. Shifted desires to a 400 strokes, but can't move the 408, so 408 it is! Dropped off interior, working on body. Car is in booth for cut in work, then out to run fuel and install drivetrain. For the price, next time I am soda blasting...grinders and wire wheel work sucks especially when you are going at this level of detail.

Denny, I am headed to the sandbox for an extended vacation. 2016 is out. Keeping 2017 as a goal. The 72 Swinger will be done for sure. Got the axles back yesterday. Rear is still out for inspection. Then back on the road. I may not have the repaint done, but as is, paint chips and all. The 74 Swinger would be ready, but not for the tent, lol. The goal is that this car makes it as well. Shifted desires to a 400 strokes, but can't move the 408, so 408 it is! Dropped off interior, working on body. Car is in booth for cut in work, then out to run fuel and install drivetrain. For the price, next time I am soda blasting...grinders and wire wheel work sucks especially when you are going at this level of detail.

Look forward to watching this build.

Thank you. I debated blasting this car. Instead I opted to have my son do some of the work cleaning, prepping , and painting. He got to watch as panels were installed and he did disassembly and bagging and tagging.

We will hold a spot for you (2017).....front row (guests of honor)

be safe my friend.

Hit the Demon for a bit today. Trans crossmember cleaned, blasted, primed and a coat of paint. Thanks Whitepunkonnitro. More surface work on engine bay.

image.jpg

If it's the factory heater box, just order a kit from Detroit Muscle, and do it yourself. Jim die cuts all the foam, and whatever gaskets there may be....and they fit perfect. You should be able to get a heater core from NAPA or somewhere. I did the factory heater/AC box in a Challenger with a Detroit Muscle kit, and it was as good or better than new.

He also sells single foams and gaskets from the kit if you need just an item or two but don't want to buy the whole kit. DMT is a legit company that does business the right way.

You don't have to sell me on DMT. I replaced everything I touched on the Swinger with DMT items. Just didn't monkey with heater box....lol. If you look at the table pic above you will see a bunch of Jim's bags!

-
Back