1972 Duster Project

-
This weeks plan is to find time to get to the shop and relieve the car of its interior. Interior will be all black. Then I can see what I am dealing with on floors while I am there. Yank the motor of I have time.

Motor out, and off in a corner. Gotta pull the interior and get it off to upholstery. Decided on all black interior. Floor pans look good from the underside. Will pull carpet and see what we got later. Trunk gutters are rough...lol

IMG_1841.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

Ok folks. 440 sold. I have two 360s at the machine shop. 512 for Swinger is underway. I can choose from 360, 400, 383 for this car...will likely sell this car or trade for B body....what would someone want? Issue I have with BB is that this car is sitting on all lightweight brakes and suspension. Cost associated with upgrades will be in upgrading those areas vs sticking with SB or slant power plant

Ok...big *** water main break at work so half day. Took advantage of the time and kicked some *** on the car. Blasted and painted this intake to go on a 383 I am hauling to Georgia in the morning.

IMG_1868.JPG

Plastics are mint except for the door arm rests. All the interior is ready and packed to go to upholstery. Going to go back and really look at headliner. It had been painted to match interior so I think I may have to paint it or replace. Has a few spots that could use some work. Will pull up carpet and assess the rest of the floor pans when I have more time. One spot in previous pic will need some work. We will see how weak it is after I hit it with the grinder. Soundproof on hand Replacement carpet will be black.

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

IMG_1865.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1867.JPG

I just realized I am fully restoring this car in my mind and therefore I am doing it. Was not the plan. I am supposed to sell this car! Dropped off the interior and a very nice 383 core for a customer to build. He chose to do it on his own instead of having me get it done.

So after vetoing that **** it was on to getting the carpet out to see the floors. Three nickel sized holes and some scaling. Wiper pivot seal need replaced...ugggh.. going to pull and reseal front window. Will patch, scrape out all the old seam sealer, replace. Seal the floor up with sound deadener after making sure any residual rust is treated. Color change to black on carpet and interior.

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

Spent some time at home today. Fertilized lawn, insect treatment, raked pine straw. Worked on interior parts some more. Satin black finish with a matte clear. Had to clean and strip each piece as they were all previously painted.

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

Ordered some black carpet and replacement sail panels. Headliner escapes me at the moment, not a bow style. I ran out of energy trying to remember where I got one for the Demon vs just tidy this one up.

Are you sure it's a cardboard headliner? If it had metal sail panels, it should have had 5 or 6 bows, with the one at the rear being way longer than the others. If it has the cardboard headliner, it may be a late in the year 72....and got the new style like the 73-up Dusters.

Good looking start to a project for sure. Love the wheels - have a soft spot for the old slots. My first car, a 1971 Challenger 318, came with a set of those on it...

-
Back