1974 Duster 340 w/ 727 to A833

-

Zachary

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just another person asking about a transmission swap. There might already be a forum out there for my question(s), but I couldn't find it and figured I'd ask all of you here. So, obviously, I want swap from auto to manual. I currently have a 74 Duster, with a 70 340 and the OG 727 in it. I want to swap to the A833 4 speed. First question is whether I should go with the 4 speed with or without the O/D? After that, is some sort of parts list. I've asked Brewers, and I haven't heard anything back. I'm not sure why, but now here I am, asking all you guys. I called up a "Mopar Only" parts yard a few hours from me and although they didn't say if they actually had these things, they said that if they did, I can have it for about $1200-ish.

Bellhousing
Clutch Fork/Cover
Pedal Assembly
Bellcrank
Linkage
Transmission

Other things i know that I need and they wouldn't have are:
Hump
Shifter
Master/Slave
Crossmember
Seals and what not
A rebuild kit
Clutch
Flywheel
Driveshaft

I know that I'm missing a lot of stuff, so if anyone here could hook me up with a more extensive list so I can start gathering them. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

What is a OG 727?
The OD 4spd trans has a large front retainer which could be a problem in finding a bell housing to fit even if you grind down the retainers outside diameter smaller.
And now the question is do you want an overdrive trans? Do your calculations on rpm and speed!

IIRC, the 727 shares the driveshaft with the 4spd trans. Same yoke, same length. Make sure the U-joint is the same size for install ease.
No new cross member needed.

Find an exploded veiw of a Duster and anmanual trans.

search keywords. ( slant six a833 into a 318 small block)
I fabricated my own shifter mounting plate. flywheel part #, clutch assembly etc in post.
call brewers. they are great, will most likely answer your questions over the phone.

-
Back