1974 Roadrunner or Satellite??

-

SDHomesteade

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question in and if not, please move to the appropriate forum.

I have been driving by a 1974 Satellite that is in semi fair condition for the past 2 years, Finally got a hold of the guy who owns it and is possibly willing to sell. I wrote down the vin number the other day when I stopped and looked at it and decoded it via ALLPar's Website but their Vin Listing shows nothing for Roadrunner's in that particular time frame. Is there an indication somewhere on the vehicle that would make a satellite a roadrunner, How do you tell?? if its a Roadrunner or Satellite???

Vin number I got off the car is
R----Belvedere, Satellite, Fury ('76)
M-----Price Class Medium
2-----Doors
1-----Sedan
G-----318 2 bbl
4-----1974
G----- Built, St. Louis.

RM21 means Road Runner. PERIOD. End of discussion.

RM21G3 is a 73 RoadRunner with a 318

same as

RM21G4 is a 74 RR with a 318

Should have the "scoop" style hood on it. The 360/400/440's had the engine call out in the hood stripe...the 318's were just plain.

Worth getting if the price is right. If he wants alot you might as well look for an earlier car with big block.

depends on how much he likes it
I personally think the body of the 72 and up looks way better then the earlier ones

we all know personal tastes in models and value don't always coincide. a 68-70 roadchicken will always be worth more ,, unless , we're of course talking a 440-6 or hemi 71 runner.

been said on here a million times, buy a car you love and figure it will be a money pit. know that going into the project, ....unless you have been there and done it, then no one needs to tell you!??? LOL

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question in and if not, please move to the appropriate forum.

I have been driving by a 1974 Satellite that is in semi fair condition for the past 2 years, Finally got a hold of the guy who owns it and is possibly willing to sell. I wrote down the vin number the other day when I stopped and looked at it and decoded it via ALLPar's Website but their Vin Listing shows nothing for Roadrunner's in that particular time frame. Is there an indication somewhere on the vehicle that would make a satellite a roadrunner, How do you tell?? if its a Roadrunner or Satellite???

Vin number I got off the car is
R----Belvedere, Satellite, Fury ('76)
M-----Price Class Medium
2-----Doors
1-----Sedan
G-----318 2 bbl
4-----1974
G----- Built, St. Louis.

RM21

That is correct. The 1974 Road Runner was built off the Satellite platform.

1974 Road Runners were only available in a 'Coupe' Body Style, and the 318/170 HP
Engine was the 'base' Standard Engine.

Engine Options were;
* 360/245 HP
* 400/250 HP
* 440/275 HP {Torque-Flite only}

Ok, so you guys are saying this IS a 74 RR and not a Satellite. I want a 68 Charger but that is never going to happen so the 74 Satellite/RR's are my next Best Body Style to me.

And YES it does have the Twin Triangle Shaped Scoops on the Hood.

See post #4. It cannot be made clearer. At least not that I can do.

Ok, I was a tad confuses as the post above my last one says "Coupe" not Sedan (is there a difference?).

The Biggest Obstacle I am foreseeing in this (wife could care less, she knows I want one LOL) is that the guy whose property it is sitting on does not have a title for it. He sold a guy a truck, then out of the blue this guy he sold the truck to drops this Satellite/RR off at his place with no explanation and no title. Guy wants to sell it but we have to figure out where to go from here.

Put a call into the DMV for SD and see what's required. It might, JUST MIGHT be easier than you think. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Better be careful. It might be stolen.

I'm getting a Title History Done up on it through the DMV and once that comes back we'll file for an abandoned Vehicle Title (it's been on his place for almost 3 yrs now), told him I would pay for all the Title Paperwork if he'd take 500 bucks for it. And he Said YES. The Body is Straight, Frame Looks Good, Little bit of Rust on Passenger side rear quarter but nothing I can't fix. Interior is shot but still there. Glass is all intact, Headlights busted out, but Grille is still intact same with rear Bumper, all intact. I didn't tell him it was a Road Runner LOL.

I checked the National Insurance Crime Bureau's Website with the VIN number and it's coming up Clean and not listed as a Stolen Vehicle or Salvage Vehicle. I'll have my Cop Friend Check it against what he can find out too though to be safe.

I really like the 73-74's, here is my 74 Satellite Sebring Plus 340, its my very first car :glasses7:

Good luck and would love to see some pics :glasses7:

Attachments

• Picture 4628.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 370
  • Picture 4639.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 365
When I was younger I had a 70 Roadrunner That my Ex Wife sold while I was stationed in Germany and we split, I forgot she had a General Power Of Attorney that I had given her from my Last Deployment. She sold it and bought a Ford Festiva with the money. My Unit would not let me go on Leave for Two years for fears that I would come back and kill her.
After I got out, I did find out who she sold it to and got a hold of him, he wouldn't sell it back to me but told me anytime I wanted to Drive it, give him a call.
I think this is the closest I will come to owning a "70" RR again. I really hate seeing them in Junkyards and such, we have Junkyard in Sturgis that has SEVERAL A and B body Mopars sitting in there Rotting, a 69 RR caught my eye in there, missing the whole front clip, Offered him 4k for it and he told me I couldn't offer him enough for it and would rather crush it than take less than what he wanted for it, but refused to set a price. it's Asshole Junkyard dealers like that, that piss me the hell off, the ****** probably pulled it out of some farmer or rancher's field up here for 50 bucks and DEMANDS people pay him restored Value for stuff that would take 3 more identical cars to make a complete one. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I really like the 73-74's, here is my 74 Satellite Sebring Plus 340, its my very first car :glasses7:

WOW, Looks Great. i will definitely stop and take pics next week while I am down that way for another doc appt. Hopefully no one else comes along and offers him 600 bucks for it LOL. Your Running the Same Rims that are my Fave, we called them Slotted Dish Mags when I was growing up.

Familiar with your part of the state. Well, maybe not to much where you are, I was at the air base outside of Rapid for 3 1/2 years and worked in the missile field. Not to many missile silos where your zip code shows you to be, maybe more east and a little south. Loved it out there. Have friends I worked with who made the area their home. Hope you get the car.

Attachments

• Picture or Video 040 (1024x768).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 331

Wheels are the same as my cousins RR, he picked this 73 up a couple of years ago for $3500, its a factory 340 4-speed, ran and drove home, just needed minor work.

1000923mm.jpg

Ok, I was a tad confuses as the post above my last one says "Coupe" not Sedan (is there a difference?).

The Biggest Obstacle I am foreseeing in this (wife could care less, she knows I want one LOL) is that the guy whose property it is sitting on does not have a title for it. He sold a guy a truck, then out of the blue this guy he sold the truck to drops this Satellite/RR off at his place with no explanation and no title. Guy wants to sell it but we have to figure out where to go from here.

The Road Runner was 'only' available in a Coupe Body Style.

The Satellite Sebring and Satellite Sebring Plus were 'only'
available in the Hardtop Body-Style.

The Satellite was also available in the Coupe Body Style, also
as a 4-Door Sedan, and 2-Seat Station Wagon.

from the mymopar.com decoder if it helps..........

then the Mopar Perf. parts cat say's sedan......

Attachments

• Vin.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 312
  • Vin2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 316
-
Back