273 Commando - UTG

-
UTG is a character and as such, great for amusement and tid bits of information. Ever notice that his builds are poorly prepared and sidelined with mechanical issues that he professes to know how to repair or build properly the 1st time. Utube can make anyone a "star"?

UTG is a character and as such, great for amusement and tid bits of information. Ever notice that his builds are poorly prepared and sidelined with mechanical issues that he professes to know how to repair or build properly the 1st time. Utube can make anyone a "star"?
What is even worse is those that defend him and profess what an expert he is...

Over the years...I have referred to UT as FABO's "kickdog" as stale humor. Actually he is someone that people love to spend time hating, but like the guy said, "bad publicity is even good publicity!" It pays the bills!

Actually he is someone that people love to spend time hating,
Some act like it's their job, funny thing is they seem very intimate with all his content and his life story, I know more about tony through the haters more than anything from the few videos of his I've seen.

Ole UT leaves himself wide open for criticism, discussion, ridicule...maybe that has always been his plan?

I admit I have never been a UTube guy, but I believe Tony started it all with maybe trying to tell young guys they can build old cars that run without high $ parts. Maybe RoadKill gave him the idea? I assume he does not get new parts like FriedBurger and good ole Dulchick!? :BangHead:

I mean yeah if junk is your thing and that's what makes ya proud strive to be Tony Defeo to each his own right? Tony is was and always will be a parts dismantler that's his forte and expertise...he doesn't bolt anything together to make it run he unbolts parts to sell and ship...

Last edited:
I still have my old Cars Illustrated mags from the 80’s.
Tony DeFeo was more entertaining at the time…

IMG_6137.jpeg

Ole UT leaves himself wide open for criticism, discussion, ridicule...maybe that has always been his plan?

I admit I have never been a UTube guy, but I believe Tony started it all with maybe trying to tell young guys they can build old cars that run without high $ parts. Maybe RoadKill gave him the idea? I assume he does not get new parts like FriedBurger and good ole Dulchick!? :BangHead:
It seems like some of the magazine guys made the natural transition from magazine media to youtube type media.

It doesnt natter if the car runs like crap... have you seen any of his builds go down the track? even in 1980 the perfomance would be dismal.

I have never bothered to watch any of UT UTube stuff.......... since everyone says its a waste of time...why do anyone watch??
IMO it is Because they are willing to be misinformed...Tony will say things like "I used to love being a mechanic..." I can tell he was never a successful mechanic not proffessionallly...what he was as we all know was a dismantler and used parts seller...taking them apart isn't being a mechanic IMO.

IMO it is Because they are willing to be misinformed...Tony will say things like "I used to love being a mechanic..." I can tell he was never a successful mechanic not proffessionallly...what he was as we all know was a dismantler and used parts seller...taking them apart isn't being a mechanic IMO.
Once a guy told me I was a flipper, since in the last 50 odd years many old Mopars have passed thru my hands.....I replied I guess I could be called that, but I have dragged many an old car out of the dirt and saved it for someone. If I made a $ it went in to save another.

Once a guy called me a dismantler......I replied I guess I could be,,,I have parted out wrecked and bad rusted and worthless cars for parts to save another old car.

Once a guy called me a hacker.....I replied I guess I could be. I admit I am NO mechanic, but I love trying, and learning.. and getting it once the road once again. But I never had the $$ and tools/equipment OR desire to be perfect. Life is too short for me. The next guy can improve on it.

The list is long for me.

Like you said it pays the bills...YT is becoming watered down with guys paying the bills... how many 318 builds does one have to look at to realize the results are limited with that engine? one day it wont pay the bills... there are already too many Uncle Tonys out there yacking about cars noone really drives any more...its nostalgia and stories at best. I get it I guess...after what 6 years of Uncle Tony ? its boring IMO. I may be gettiing old too dont do car shows much any more for the same reasons...I dont want to hear the yacking...heard it many times before everyone's car is real special...its just an old car...

I'm sure you mean no disrespect to all the dismantlers on this site who provide a valuable service to those who are restoring cars. I disagree, it takes mechanical skill to take apart cars as well as putting them back together. Unless you meant calling uncle Tony a "parts dimantler" to be an insult only to uncle Tony.

The real question is if a guy has 364,000 subscribers, and gets 30k views on a video, why don't the other 334,000 of his subscribers watch anymore?
Your subscribers numbers generally don't correlate with total views. But ya you would think he'd be averaging at least twice of those view numbers, 30,000 views that's about $200 a video.

Your subscribers numbers generally don't correlate with total views. But ya you would think he'd be averaging at least twice of those view numbers, 30,000 views that's about $200 a video.
Is that all? I wouldn't think it would be worth the effort and time to do all that filming and editing for 200 bucks. Hes probably making 3 or 4 dollars a hour

Is that all? I wouldn't think it would be worth the effort and time to do all that filming and editing for 200 bucks. Hes probably making 3 or 4 dollars a hour
From what I've seen, it seems like the average pay is around 5-7 dollars per 1,000 views, he's got about 90 million total views so about $600,000 over 7 years plus any merchandise. His videos have very little production so he probably don't have to spend to much time on them.

They say you only need to find a 1,000 true fans that will buy any product you produce to make a living, $100 of profit on new merch a year x 1,000 fans equals $100,000 a year.

Last edited:
-
Back