273 Question

-

Bubba C

Reaction score
I just bought a 64 GT Dart with a 273. I've got to go through the engine but wanted to see if anyone could tell me if 1.88 valve heads will work with out the notching the cylinders.

Thanks, Bubba

yes you can put a set of j"s on your 273 1.88 work great talk about a wake up look out lol mike

Post some pictures of that new ride. Jysnflem

yes you can put a set of j"s on your 273 1.88 work great talk about a wake up look out lol mike

I wouldn't, you'll lose velocity on that little engine, not to mention compression = turd on the bottom end.

I just took apart my previously rebuilt 273. With the flat tops that were in it, reproduction cast pistons, it calculated out to 7.8 to one with 65 cc chambers. Even if it is zero decked with the flat tops it would have 8.4. So dome pistons are a necessity or a lot of head milling.

Agreed, the 1.78 valve is good for alot in the small engine. It could probably use a 1.60 exhaust since that is a weak point in the MoPar heads. I've been told to back cut the small valves and at most, some bowl work on small engines.

Agreed, the 1.78 valve is good for alot in the small engine. It could probably use a 1.60 exhaust since that is a weak point in the MoPar heads. I've been told to back cut the small valves and at most, some bowl work on small engines.

Thanks for the info guys!
Bubba

Bubba, might want to look into a set of '302' heads from the '80s. They have 1.78 valves and a lovely heart-shaped chamber. These are the high-swirl port heads. They're legal on 273's for NHRA stock eliminator if that tells you anything. Shaving them a few thou can get you down in the low 50's for the chamber. No shrouding issues either. Found on basically any vehicle made with a 318 between the mid to late '80s - vans, trucks, cop cars etc.

Bubba, might want to look into a set of '302' heads from the '80s. They have 1.78 valves and a lovely heart-shaped chamber. These are the high-swirl port heads. They're legal on 273's for NHRA stock eliminator if that tells you anything. Shaving them a few thou can get you down in the low 50's for the chamber. No shrouding issues either. Found on basically any vehicle made with a 318 between the mid to late '80s - vans, trucks, cop cars etc.

Hey! Thanks for the info! I usually learn everything the hard way...

Bubba

You might want to try one of these.

64 Dart 5.JPG

according to the mopar race manual,,notching reguired to put a j head on a 273

Hey Bubba, PM me and I'll give you some information on my set-up.

Hey Bubba, PM me and I'll give you some information on my set-up.

-
Back