3 Generation Project

-
Nice work, what have you been using to get all that paint and rust off?

We used the old wire wheel on a drill first. That really took off all the loose flakey stuff and all the rust and gunk in the cracks and crevices. Then we switched to a Poly-Carbide Abrasive Circular Brush (Black cord with abrasive pressed into a wheel shape). That took the fine stuff off real nice. Took a lot of patience and elbow grease.

Cool thread! Can you tell me more about the components in the picture for the chassis stiffening?
I am always looking for something to help my convertible, but unfortunately since it has boxed frame rails, nothing out of the box fits that I have found.

We got the kit from US Car Tool

http://zem9t.4pj3v.servertrust.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=USCT1003

It came with front and rear torque boxes, laser cut sub frame connectors, inner fender braces, core support brace, and a drive shaft loop. I have trial fit everything and all pieces seem to fit nicely. I'm in the middle of installing the inner fender braces right now. I'll try to have Pics up tonight.
XV Motorsports sells similar pieces.

I got the inner fender braces installed. I also removed the bump stop brackets and cleaned up the frame rails. Next I will paint the inner fenders black and it's time to install the front suspension. Pardon my ugly welds. I'm confident I got good penetration, but making those suckers look "pretty" is HARD. Practice , practice, practice.8)

Attachments

• Inner Fender Brace 1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,054
  • Inner Fender Brace 2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,066
  • Inner Fender Brace 3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,071
  • Inner Fender Brace 4.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,046
We got the kit from US Car Tool

http://zem9t.4pj3v.servertrust.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=USCT1003

It came with front and rear torque boxes, laser cut sub frame connectors, inner fender braces, core support brace, and a drive shaft loop. I have trial fit everything and all pieces seem to fit nicely. I'm in the middle of installing the inner fender braces right now. I'll try to have Pics up tonight.
XV Motorsports sells similar pieces.

Well that is cool as heck, especially getting to see you install the parts I didn't quite understand.

Since it comes with torque boxes, they just may have some that work with factory torque boxes on the convertible.

I worked a couple hours tonight. I got the core support brace installed. I think I notice a slight improvement in my welds...very slight.

Attachments

• core support brace 7.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,034
  • core support brace 6.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,034
  • core support brace 5.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,047
  • core support brace 4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,031
  • core support brace 3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,072
  • core support brace 2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,045
  • core support brace 1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,059
This week ends progress. Stripped front

Attachments

• #34 Stripped front 1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,031
  • #35 Stripped front 2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 985
  • #36 Stripped front 3.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,008
  • #37 Stripped front 4.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 970
1st I want to give a big shout :cheers: out to Summit Racing. I ordered some parts this past Sun. standard delivery. I got part of the order Wed. and the rest today. Never had service this fast, even w/2nd day air. If this is the norm for them they've got my business.
Now, back to business.
I got new tires & wheels for my wheelchair.:joker:

Attachments

• #38 New Tires and Wheels.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 986
I outran that old geezer in my four banger Pinto!:bootysha:

This is "Generation 2" of "3 Generation Project". Just a little back info. My Dad came to me one day and asked “Would you like to restore a car?, I will fund the project if you and Josh (my son) do all the labor”......after a millisecond of thought I said HECK YES. The car is here with me and my son in Fort Worth. My Dad lives 60 miles away. He is in a wheelchair so he can’t do all of the physical stuff, but he is on the phone and internet constantly researching and refining his ideas. It truly is a collaberative effort. He has owned, worked on, and raced many cool cars over the years. I have owned and worked on two. Back in high school I owned a 75 Dart 318 for a short time. Then I had a 74 Dart /6 3 speed that my Dad and I changed over to a 4 speed. Speed shifting that car was fun. Putting 3 clutches in it over 3 years, not fun. This is the first “all out” restoration for all 3 of us. That is probably why I go from being giddy with excitement one minute to “What the heck have I gotten myself into” the next. I am trying to focus on and complete “little projects” and not look at the “WholeThing”. I will help my Dad out and add to this thread from time to time.

And Yes flyboy, doing the mini tubs was a lot more welding than I imagined it would be. It was great practice for a newbie welder.

Waiting on front and rear suspesion to arrive. It’s supposed to be here before Thanksgiving.
I hope so since I took 3 extra days of vacation so I can install the new parts.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Chris, yer doing a d**n fine job. Josh will remember this when he is my age.

Josh, Yer doing a d**n fine job. You are learning a lot, not only about cars, but about your father and grandfather.

Roofus, you are doing a d**n fine job. You are making memories that will last many years.

Wish I was there.

Way to go guys.

Chris, yer doing a d**n fine job. Josh will remember this when he is my age.
Josh, Yer doing a d**n fine job. You are learning a lot, not only about cars, but about your father and grandfather.
Roofus, you are doing a d**n fine job. You are making memories that will last many years.
Wish I was there.
Way to go guys.

Thanks Dick.

I am thoroughly enjoying myself.
I've been busy with life lately, so I haven't got much done, plus it's a little chilly here now for this area...Hi's in the low 30's. Hoping to get something done on it this weekend.

It's been awhile since I last posted. You all know, "Life" getting in the way. I have gotten some miscellaneous progress done.

Primered engine compartment
Painted frame rails and inner fenders
Installed Control Freak K-member
Wheels and tires mounted
some seam sealing
Subframe connectors ground to fit and E-brake cable tube installed

My plan for this weekend is to weld in the subframe connectors, torque boxes, and brackets for the four link then finish the front suspension. Brakes and rear end is on order and should be here any day now.

How do you add captions above individual photos?

Attachments

• engine bay.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Seam Seal.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Kmember 4.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,005
  • Kmember 3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 994
  • Kmember 2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Kmember 1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,034
  • inner fender.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,014
  • engine bay2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,034
:headbang:A few more pics.

Attachments

• Tires 1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Tires 3.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 998
  • Tires 5.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 999
  • Subframe connector 1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Subframe connector 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,017
  • Subframe connector 3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,033
A few pics I've not seen, looks good son. :thumleft: I like the way you did the the tube thru the sub frame for the e-brake cable. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks Dad.:lol:

Thanks 3404Speed.:lol:

I was trying for something cool and different, but wanted it to look factory. More functional than just slots also.

looking awesome!! I always did like the 69 Valiants.. they can be some bad *** hot rods for sure.. I cant wait to see how it turns out.. I like the concept pic alot

-
Back