318 for 12.80 bracket car

-

jwsewell

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I am building a 74 Scamp to bracket race in sportsman class at PIR and Woodburn. The class cut off is 12.80.

My original plan was to drop my 413 in the car but after tearing it down I discovered it needs to be rebuilt with new pistons.

WELLLL!!!!!!! I have this running 318 in my car right now. HMMMM!

So I am thinking why not just build the 318?? Save me the trouble of the swap, finding BB pullys and brackets, saves weight up front were it matters, ect. ect. Besides I only wanna run 12.80's

I plan to gut the car as much as I can and still keep it street legal, hoping for 3200 Lbs. or less.

I already have a B-body 8 3/4 in the car because I was commited to the BB swap, UNTIL I started thinking again! LMAO!

So how about some recommendations y'all. I would prefer to stay away from stroker cranks and such.

are you starting out fresh and rebuilding the 318 ..or have a running 318 and adding parts too it?

the 318 usually suffer from low compression, small valves and small ports...

magnum heads style heads would be the best heads or the EQ replacement heads...

you are going to need a GOOD converter...

I plan to rebuild another 318 if I find one cheap enough, this ones a runner.

I have been playing with cam quest 6 and I am sure its very optimistic! LOL!

I am thinking along the lines of recon. crank and rods with ARP Main and rod bolts. KB844 or KB167 pistons. 10.0 compression. Comp 280H cam, Headers, M1 intake, 750 DP, not sure what to do about heads???

Edit: The EQ / Iron ram heads look very nice for the $$$.

I punched the flow numbers into CamQuest 6
-10.5 comp.
-280H cam,
-Single plane intake and
-750 carb
-small tube headers w/ muffs.
and came up with
433 HP @ 6500 / 417 TQ @ 4500

Am I even in the ball park here???

As far as gears and convertor, whatever it takes to get the job done!
3.91 - 4.30 gears? / 3000 - 3500 stall?

my 69 dart mild 440 is running 12.80's rite now. 727,3000 stall,391 gears.
12.80 is not out of site but its gonna take some small block guros to get you there.
i have some smallblock parts for sale if your interested.
318-rebuildable
727 trans! for small block rebuilt
sb tunnel ram duel carb ...old school weiand
904 trans... and some more.

I was gonna build my 318 but im getting a blown 354 hemi instead

i was gonna go like this
block was gonna be 318 or 273 bored .30 over or so
rods would be stock 273 rods...same rods but 273 are actually lighter= rev higher/faster (some people dont know that)
good 10-1 pistons
cam/tunnel ram intake 2-4

thats what i would have done but i dont have alot of money so i would do things like using the 273 rods instead of buying some nice new h-beams or something

I 'll tell you my combo with my 318
318 30 over
kb399
360 heads milled .035, ported 1.88/1.60
erson .488/.510
edelbrock air gap
650 holley dp
904 trans 3500 stall
8 3/4 4.10 gears
I ran the M1 intake and didn't like it, the dual plane works a lot better with a 318 and I would run a 650 carb over the 750. I run 12.90's with a 3200 lb dart. Glad to see someone building a 318!

All this is great and shows the OE poster that you'll need some decent parts and squezze to go. How ever, he has a 413 to rebuild and I would gather a rebuilding of the 318 would be out. WOW! Was I wrong!

Heck, if you have to rebuild an engine, and your choice to go bracket racing are a 318 or a 413, what would you do???????? I'd go 413!

Screw the brackets, there not an isue to worry about in the overall picture.

Go faster alot easier!

Heres a thought: Get yourself a 318 and a 360 crank, have the mains turned down to 318/340 size and bam, you got yourself a 350 inch motor with about 10:1. Port some 596's (or whatever those smog heads were) and shove in a cam. Its basically an under-bored 360, and dirt cheap!

since you stated you are going to get another 318...why not just find a 360 and make it easier....

unless you are stuck on 318s.....

i tried to post my combo for consideration,or scrutiny.318,bored .030,federl mogul pistons.Ported/gasket matched 302 heads,stock valve size.voodoo cam,494/513,226/234duration at .50.Mp windage tray,stelath intake,650 holley,summit 1-5/8 headers,2.5 flowmaster exhaust with h pipe.904,3000 stall,8.75 with at least a 3.91 gear.71 dart,3200 pounds,no ac,power steering,etc.Prob will get a electric water pump drive and fan also.Any ideas of what it will do?

A 360 is a possibility too, may even go with the 413, or just find me a 440 or 400 block to put my crank in.

I am here for idea's and brainstorming, keep it coming y all'!

I wish I knew his name, but there is a guy in Portland that I know named Richard I think. He delivers burrito shells for a living or something. Really good guy.

Anyways, he ran 4.10's in an 8 1/4, 3k stall, 9.5:1 compression with 360 heads and a .484 cam in a 74 Duster with a 318.

I watched him run a number of 13.00 flats with it at Woodburn. He ended up going with a stock bore 360 and a few other mods and went alot faster......

Personally I'd run the 360 like everyone else says.

There are cores out there for not much. I have 3-4 myself.

FWIW-ROB

Are you still on your idea of staying under $3000 for the hole project? I read your other post about when you acquired the car.

one thing..if you are going to run a 12.80 index...better build the car to run at least 12.50s due to track and weather conditions....

What about a 340? I got a buddy in your area with a .030 over 340 shortblock, forged crank, h beam rods, all you gotta do is get a top-end and cam. He only wants like $1500.

Have you given any thought to running a junkyard 5.2? There are zillions of them, they're cheap and they come with good heads. They're still internal balance like the 318 so all your balancer, accessories, etc should just swap over. They're better on compression than the old school 318, and are hydraulic roller to boot (not to mention they use a much better ring package)

A lot of people turn their noses up at junkyard motors, but this late-model stuff is way better than the old junk.

If you want to keep a mechanical fuel pump, just have Comp grind a new hydraulic roller cam on a LA core so you can still have the longer snout.

Basically, you'd be in it for the cost of the motor (less than $1000 even with low miles), custom camshaft and some valve springs.

I bought a low mile 5.9 for my Dart, and I'm really wishing I would have gotten the 5.2 instead. My car has a 318 from the factory and I could just swap all that stuff over instead of buying new odd balance 5.9 junk.

Steve

I got a line on a 340 short block. Talked to the owner and he suggested some breathed on 360 smog heads. It has a forged crank, Cat H beam rods and .030 over TRW forged piston sitting prone, (I forget exactly how much)

How about some ideas on a 340 that will get me some 12.50's ???!! :read2::read2::read2::read2:

Did you email Adrian? If so, see if he has heads for it. I think he's a pretty talented head porter. Also, that 340 with some 3.91s and a solid cam and RPM intake with about 3500 converter will put you in the mid 12s.

:read2: Well I have been digging around the internet and have been researching turbocharging and I think I am going to go with a single blow-though turbo on the stock internals 318 I have in the car now and learn a few things about tuning. Its gonna be alot of fun or a huge disapointment!!

In preparation for the turbo I have already bought and installed a streetmaster 318 intake and Eddy 1405 600 carb that I will modify for blow-though use later.

I have 3.23 gears in a 8 3/4 already and its my understanding that turbo cars like some gear to pull a load on. :cheers:

I am hoping my Ol lady gets the hints I am dropping for a welder for X-mas and I can fab up some mandrel bends for a hot and cold side and get my "turboteen" going.

I plan to spend most of my budget on a very nice fuel system, Wideband and a new Masterpower T70 turbo. Anything I fab up as far as the turbo system goes will swap onto another 318 / 360 WHEN I blow the OG 318.

-
Back