318 hp?

-

duster wonder

National Guard Member
Reaction score
i have a 318 with mild cam, 600 eddy, weiand intake, and some porting. looking for hp and torque estimates and on the intake about center of both sides there is a gap between the intake and the heads. is that normal i heard there is a plate i should install to block off that part of the intake. thanks

Wtf never heard of that the intake should be a tight squeeze with the gaskets on meaning no gap....probably 250 HP do you have headers, dual exhaust, what's the specs on the cam, what ignition, what tranny... Also there is a forum search button you can type in what your looking for and threads related to what you typed in would POP up so you can read and get an idea what others are doing to there engines and what not

The only thing you should block off is the heat riser passage out of the heads. The other arched "gap" in the middle is for heat dissipation so dont block it off!

i have a 318 with mild cam, 600 eddy, weiand intake, and some porting. looking for hp and torque estimates and on the intake about center of both sides there is a gap between the intake and the heads. is that normal i heard there is a plate i should install to block off that part of the intake. thanks
Is that intake a 8007? I have one here that has the same problem, it was new from Weiand. You have to measure the gap and order the gaskets from Cometec. I sent mine back and they returned it with a note telling me ther was nothing wrong with it..after they ground off the ID. Get yourself a Eddy intake. You don't want anything to do with those crooks. By the way, I double gasketed mine and bolted it up..it cracked the manifold by #1 cylinder at the water jacket. The Eddy fit fine, as did the stock manifold. They made the Chinese stuff look good!

yea it is a 8007 and the gasket measures up fine i was just wondering what that gap is doin about midway on the intake. and i have headers with h pipe exhaust not sure what mufflers but there too quiet for stock not sure about cam for ignition msd coil and digital distributor. and 727 auto 3.73 posi

Is the 318 otherwise stock? What cam is in it?

Your info is way to general for a power est.

all the internals are stock and its a mild cam. just bought it so everday im learning its little secrets just looking for a wild guess at hp and torque

Well the best of luck and happy wrenching on it. As described, it sort of sounds like a 280 - 320 HP engine. The big difference in numbers would be cam and any head work for flow and/or compression.

Have you run at the track yet? Report back with time and ET for a better guess. There are formulas for these numbers along with your cars weight and such.

My stock 1968 318 2bbl. is rated at 230hp,with a 4 bbl. and some hedders maybe will up it to 250hp.With a cam swap your looking at 275-300hp depending on cam and hedder length.

P.S What year is this 318? A 1973 318 is rated at 180hp so hp will vary with the year of engine.

I'll ssecpnd or third the motion. Between 270-300 would be my guess. Comp ratio can factor heavily into an engines h.p curve,so if you have better than stock cr it may be more. You also have to consider the engines mileage,history and maintenance. A high miler will def be down on those #s..

it pulled 14.2 at best. not sure what year is there a tag somewhere to check? it is not the original motor for the car so that vin wont work. thanks for all the help i know its faster than a ricer n a cummins deisel so far haha

also i was wondering are the 318,340, and 360 all from the 318 block? if so would it be better to bore out my 318 to acheive the same bore size of a 360? possibly put a 360 crank into my 318 after boring out?

14.2 is very good for an almost stock 318 ! 340 Darts turned that from the factory back in the day . So figure you must be in the 275-320 HP range . impressed !

also i was wondering are the 318,340, and 360 all from the 318 block? if so would it be better to bore out my 318 to acheive the same bore size of a 360? possibly put a 360 crank into my 318 after boring out?

No, but yes, the 340 and 360 have a different motor mount, the 360 has larger crank journals.

It may be possible, though I do not recomend boring a 18 (3.91) to a 360 (4.00) but, if it sonic checks out OK to do so, then yes you could.

Installing a 360's 3.58 crank is possible after you either cut the journals down from the machinist and then find (LOL) pistons to fit. MP Performance has new cranks in stock for the smaller crank journal blocks with the 3.58 stroke.

Your much better off just jumping to a 4.00 inch stroke. Pistons are on the shelf for a verity of ratios and pistons material. 384 stoke bore, 390 C.I.D. @ .030 overbore.

-
Back